Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Calculating slab height using RLs

Page 3 of 3
building-expert
SaveH2O
Having the slab too low can also affect the site stormwater and sewer drainage.

I cannot understand why some slabs mentioned on H1 have been laid too low when it should have been bleeding obvious that in many cases the drains would then be too low to connect to their LPOD if they were laid with the required fall.

Many builders don't source out design work to competent registered architects or architectural draftspersons. Instead they do it in house employing people with insufficient skills (even basic). As you say, even bleeding obvious isn't obvious when they are clueless.

Secondly, many builders don't supervise their concrete contractors, so they do what they like on site. How many times have I been standing next to SS ringing the concreter " has this slab been done?"

Just now I have one of my client's whose slab is significantly lower than FFL, it will create drainage issues.
On many of my pre purchase inspections I come across houses where slabs have been set too low to the ground.

That is why we always recommend a pre slab inspection. Even though I don't take levels I will spot if there is significant variation and make recommendations that levels be verified before pour.

This has just happened to me ! Building my brand new house with an award winning builder. The elevation numbers on my plans were changed without my consent post the signed contract. No variation, email or communication at all to advise me. My new house slab has now been laid 300mm too low in the ground. Flat block. What is worse I have 2 council pits in the centre rear of my land, storm & sewer. These pits are now almost 500mm higher in elevation & are positioned 1 metre away from my bricked corner. The builders did not consider these council pits when changing the measurements on my plans, cutting the guts out of my flat land unnecessarily to adhere to the garage / drive way slope. The house slab plan should have stayed exactly as quoted when I signed the contract. The garage floor could have stepped down to comply for driveway gradient. I am absolutely devastated.
I am in an enormous dispute with the builders now. How could the SS supervisors not recognise these is a problem? I do not work in the building industry & I noticed straight away there was a problem! They know they have cocked up. However they refuse to fix my house foundation.
I am a single mother trying my absolute best to build this forever home for my daughter & I.
I had thrown every cent into this. I am simply heartbroken.
The builders GM merely offered me 2 retaining walls to compensate.
I have lodged with fair trading. I am not confident I will have much success.
I simply cannot afford a huge legal battleā€¦..
You should get a good building consultant to help you manage the dispute
Related
25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum