Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Wooden boards screwing standards

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys

I am renovating my pool area and I might have a dispute on how the landscaper has screwed the hardwood to the feature wall and also the customer made seat they are doing.

Issue

Everyone I have spoken to after the event has said to avoid warping and cupping two screws should be used. As per the picture the landscaper has only used one and after only two weeks (they haven’t finished the job yet due to Xmas) some boards already have visible cupping.

When I questioned the landscaper why he only used one when I had received advice that two is standard he said that Hardwood under 100 ml only needs one screw.

Question.

Does anyone know if there are any standards for how many screws are required for hardwood. Our boards are 90 ml. I want to be able to have a reasonable discussion with him. He as suggested he could do more screws but having 3 screws on a 90ml board is overkill and my preference would be for him to start again and build to standards required.

Many thanks
Hi Duke

The link below pertains to building decks.
Section 1.5.2 details fixing with nails and AS specify 2 nails per board per joist.
Section 1.5.4 talks about screws and states that the same principles should be followed.
Your issue may be that your not dealing with a deck but screens and the landscaper may try and use this as an out.
Simply put, it's very poor construction and no decent chippy would ever think of fixing of decking, screens or seating like that. You always use 2 screws. The board's will cup and look horrible in a very short amount of time. They haven't even countersunk the screw heads flush with the board.

Link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8164412036
Yes, I agree. It sounds like a landscaper trying to be a carpenter and not succeeding too well.

Stewie
The information the landscaper has given you is incorrect.
Australian Standards stipulate 2 screws per board/joist
Ideally you should be staggering the fixings as well - more of an issue with nails, however we also do it with screwed decks. the reason being that when you install the fixing it creates a little split in the joist and water tends to sit in there. This split gradually increases and more water sits and rots it out until eventually the fixing no longer holds and the boards pop up
Two other things to consider to get better life out of your deck
1 - Always paint your joists out with an exterior sealer
2 - Always use a rubber rubber joist protector. these sit on top of the joist and shed water off the top. they also create a seal around your mechanical fixing
Your deck will absolutely start cupping with only one screw -
Out of curiosity - did you check the landscapers license details at all before engaging him?
Related
19/05/2023
Finishing standards - advice needed

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Don't think they are designed for double brick. WA has a particular way of building and unfortunately that's the way a large amount of sills are finished.

26/05/2023
Reporting of Breach of aus standards ?

Building A New House

I believe this is correct. From the picture you can see the power was put in last so the electrician knew where the water was. Really it's a common sense issue more…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum