Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Floor tiles over existing ones

Page 1 of 1
My recently purchased unit has a bathroom and a toilet room. The toilet room has these really tiny tiles, like 3cm each. I want to change them and my renovator said the cheaper way would be to put new tiles over them, lifting the floor up by 7mm.

I don't know how this would look as I'll have floorboards installed. Does anyone have any experience with slightly elevated tiles and whether it will be a pain to look at or use?
You want cheap or something you can live with?

Another 7mm may not sound like much but it would be enough to catch your toe, plus the hassle of something extra 7mm high to cover the edge of the tiles.

If it were me, I'd rip em up and do it properly.
ditto

Our old house had so many layers on the floors that it was an archeological dig back in history to find the base floor.

Do the job right and it will look better; particularly if you plan on living there. You will always have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it properly.

Whenever we renovated we tried to do it in a way that was sympathetic with the original integrity of the house.
_Al_
You want cheap or something you can live with?

Another 7mm may not sound like much but it would be enough to catch your toe, plus the hassle of something extra 7mm high to cover the edge of the tiles.

If it were me, I'd rip em up and do it properly.

I agree!!!
Never seen it live, but have a look at the vinylover the top option.
There is supposed to be some stuff that does the job very well. and only a 2mm increase and far less costs.

But as will all options. - you have to weigh up the hosue, what else needs doing etc etc.
Steve
Taking up old ceramic tile is pretty easy if you have the right tools. You should be able to hire something to do it yourself at Kinnards.

If it's a really small area, you just need a small chisel and a hand floor scraper. If a larger area and on concrete, they have a large scraper/chisel/prybar you can use.

Greg
Quote:
Taking up old ceramic tile is pretty easy if you have the right tools. You should be able to hire something to do it yourself at Kinnards.

Ash will love you Gpierce.
They sell rope

Kennards do the hire stuff, but we know what you meant.

And yep a hired chisel nosed tile scraper works a treat.
Steve
Kinnards, Kennards, tomato, potato:)

Greg
Best thing for ripping up those tiles...

Spend a hard earned $49 at Bunnings on an Ozito 1050W hammer drill which comes with a chisel point. I know what most people are thinking, but it will be the best $49 that you ever spend. I'm a big beliver in quality tools when required. This thing just goes, and goes, and goes, and goes...

Great for mixing tile adhesive also, as it's got so much torque you can mix a full 20 litre bucket with no issues. So while your at Bunnings, spend another $14 on an Auger mixing piece.

If you do decide to tile over the top, there are plenty of glues on the market that are made for that purpose. Just make sure the base tiles are clean, and usually you have a prep of some sort. You can get some nice stainless trims which are graduated so that the edge isn't sharp.
Well if it's only 7mm u must be use a 2mm thick tile. By the time u lay say a 10mm (min) layer of adhesive using your notched trowel, you will still end up with say at least 5mm (min) once you compress it under the tile. Now depending on the thickness of the tile - lets say ur using a 200x200 at min 7-8mm...well theres 12-13mm already.

The other point is even if you do replace them you still may end up with a slighter higher floor - as im sure you new tile want be as thin as the old mosaic. Its easier to control in a bathroom where u have a sand and cement bed above the concrete floor. When re screeding the floor prior to laying tiles - you can compensate for the increased tile thickness..

Ciao
Related
22/04/2024
Floating floor boards over slate tiles

General Discussion

To put anything over slate you will need to put self level compound over the entire area as slate various in thickness and is very un even. To install most types of…

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum