Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Please help with hot water system selection

Page 1 of 1
Our builder includes a Dux Endurance 20p instantaneous gas hot water system as standard. We are happy enough to have a Gas hot water system as we are also having a gas cooktop, but was just wondering what people thought of the instantaneous system vs storage system or if you really would recommend going electric instead? We are a family of 4 so do use a bit of hot water.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks!
Emma
Our previous houses have had storage heaters (both electric and gas) but our new house will have an instantaneous gas heater.

We're going this way because it's smaller, easier to locate, never runs out of hot water, etc.

With our previous gas storage unit we found the recovery rate was too slow if you had people using the shower one after the other.

Friends and family who have gas instantaneous heaters say they would never go back to storage unless it was part of a solar system.

With a family of four I would personally put in a 24 or larger unit, especially if you have multiple people using hot-water at the same time.

How many bathrooms, etc. does your new house have?
Maybe up it to the 26 if you are 4 people and are thinking of having a couple showers at once.
I know rinnai do a 26.
Why would anyone choose an electric HWS if they can have gas?
Go the gas ...and instantaneous is excellent. Solar plus gas booster is even better, but will push the cost way up.

Apart from never running out of hot water,
it's way cheaper to run than any storage system, since you're only heating the water you use. Last time I checked the stats, these systems are only beaten on running costs by solar.
Thanks so much. I should have specified too, we will be using bottled gas, we don't have gas pipelines where we are building. Will that make a significant $ difference?
emlet01
Thanks so much. I should have specified too, we will be using bottled gas, we don't have gas pipelines where we are building. Will that make a significant $ difference?

H'mmm, that changes things a bit, bottled gas can be a lot more expensive.

You may want to look at getting a solar system with an integrated instantaneous gas backup if your area and positioning are suitable.

An electric heat pump hot water system would also be a good choice in this case.

www.dux.com.au/products.php?name=D2FH00000C

There are lots of other hot water heat pump units available, the link above is just for reference.
Thanks everyone, we have gone for a solar system with an electric booster.
Related
16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

27/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The tank is around 200 litres (I am on holiday for the next 6 weeks so can't check) The Heat Pump has a built in time switch. No idea on the speed to heat because with…

6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum