Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

WREXTER's BUILD (WA) - Instaling Skirting!

Page 1 of 48

Artist's (me) impression

Hey Guys,

After many months of looking for a suitable block amongst diminishing supplies, and an even longer time spent goining to what seemed like 100's of display homes we managed to find the perfect block and house to start our lives in.

BLOCK:

Suburb: Aubin Grove
Estate: Aubin Gardens
Size: 551 sqm
Features: North facing, elevated

HOUSE:

Builder: New Generation Homes
Design: The Colorado
Living Area: ~250 sqm
Total Area: ~310 sqm

ORIGINAL PLAN

Click HERE to view 'pdf' of the original Plans

FINAL PLAN

Click HERE to view 'pdf' of the final Plans

Note: WIR doors are now in the middle of room.

THREAD PHOTO CONTENTS

07/096/2010 - Empty Block, fences going up - viewtopic.php?p=494389#p494389

28/096/2010 - Selections Part 1- viewtopic.php?p=510944#p510944

07/08/2010 - Fence Dilemma - viewtopic.php?p=541869#p541869

24/08/2010 - Selections Part 2 - viewtopic.php?p=554869#p554869

9/09/2010 - Prestart choices & Prices - viewtopic.php?p=567233#p5672330

29/09/2010 - Lighting Thoughts - viewtopic.php?p=582094#p582094

18/10/2010 - Door choices - viewtopic.php?p=596017#p596017

18/11/2010 - Timber flooring ideas - viewtopic.php?p=619334#p619334

30/01/2011 - Site Scrape - viewtopic.php?p=660362#p660362

03/02/2011 - Footings - viewtopic.php?p=663086#p663086

05/02/2011 - Slab Down - viewtopic.php?p=664267#p664267

27/02/2011 - Brickwork Progress 1 - viewtopic.php?p=677145#p677145

03/03/2011 - Kitchen Colour Variation - viewtopic.php?p=679699#p679699

07/03/2011 - Recap of Tile choices - viewtopic.php?p=681831#p681831

07/03/2011 - Brickwork Progress 2 - viewtopic.php?p=681835#p681835

12/03/2011 - Brickwork Progress 3 - viewtopic.php?p=685155#p685155

MILESTONES:

Initial Contracts Signed: 2.5.2010
Titles Released: 7.7.2010
Land Settlement: 29.7.2010
PreStart Meeting: 25.8.2010
Final Plans Signed: 16.12.2010
Scheduling Start: 24.12.2010
Site Start: 27.1.2011
Slab Down: 5.2.2011
Brickwork Start: 25.2.2011
Brickwork Finished: 18.4.2011
Front Render: 21.4.2011
Roof Timber Start: 3.5.2011
Roof Timber Finish: 6.5.2011
Plumber/Gas Fitter Start: 9.5.2011
Plumber/Gas Fitter Finish: 10.5.2011
Roof Plumbing: 10.5.2011
Electrical: 11.5.2011
Roof Tiling Start: 16.5.2011
Roof Tiling Finish: 18.5.2011

Soakwells Started: 18.6.2011
Soakwells Finished: 19.6.2011
Glazing: 20.6.2011
Doors & Lock-Up: 21.6.2011

Tiling Screeding: 27.6.2011
Kitchen/Laundry Cabinets fixed: 27.6.2011
Tiling Start 4.7.2011
HI I'm all about the doors. I'd close off the passageway to the minor bedrooms with a door orfsome sort. Great for heat/cooling zones and extra muffling for kids trying to sleep. I'd also try to find a way to close off the theatre room either at the entry to the theatre room itself or close off the entry into the kitchen /dining area from the front hallway with a slider. Slider on the dining room side.This will give you a sound buffer zone if someone is watching tv or a movie in the theatre room and you don't want the sound traveling to the main living area of the house or the reverse sound from the main living area spoiling your 'theatre" event. This is what we did. The door is always open unless we are watching a movie or something in the lounge room.

Love the wide entry area but what are you going to do where it bends to the right to go to the theatre room and then into the dining area? is this an area you've changed from the original plans? have you seen this in a display?
Hi Wrexter

I'm building in Aubin Grove too with New Gen, I also work there

With upgrading the shower to a bath, it may make the vanity a bit squishy, especially if you want 2 sinks in there. It may be doable tho. You could extend the kitchen bench, which would probably add an extra cupboard.

Add shower doors instead of the rails.

Any questions, just ask
hey wrexter welcome
your house will be massive!! seen one thing that came to mind on your plans just make sure you get a lock put on the back of your master bedroom door so if/when your having a shower ppl cant walk in as the ensuite you cant close off due to no door
and doesnt look like you get a door on your shower.. if that bothers you ask them to price it up

otherwise its a great plan
what colours are you thinking for the home?
Thanks for the replies guys.

oops i forgot and dont worry, i will definately be upgrading all shower doors to semi-frameless pivot doors. i cant stand curtains. i cant believe people do.

as for the theatre we plan on asking for them to put in door frames and my partner and i can put in double french doors later.

as for colours, we havent discussed it too much but we have an idea of what we like

roof: charchoal coloured clay tiles
render: something light
garage: wooden look (darak jarah color)
hi! House looks great, we are building with new gen also! Did you see nick? He was our sales man. We are building the santa cruz. We also raised ceilings to the same areas as you, it cost around $5000, we also put the garage at 28c. We added lots of door frames to our house. Doubles were $370. We had to brick down the ensuite entrance and put a frame in there for $350ish. All up we went way over budget, spending $25000 on extras! It all adds up! Btw, we were priced $1500 for overhead cupboards. It all adds up! Very happy so far.
miss_petepie
seen one thing that came to mind on your plans just make sure you get a lock put on the back of your master bedroom door so if/when your having a shower ppl cant walk in as the ensuite you cant close off due to no door

Lock comes as standard so no need to worry.

Great to see another New Gen home!! Nice plan too.

Hope everything has been smooth for you as it has been for us. Good luck!

Ziggy: We're building the Santa Cruz too. We modified it though to look like the Pegasus (pretty much same plan) as it was cheaper to do this way than to go with the Pegasus.
ziggy
hi! House looks great, we are building with new gen also! Did you see nick? He was our sales man. We are building the santa cruz. We also raised ceilings to the same areas as you, it cost around $5000, we also put the garage at 28c. We added lots of door frames to our house. Doubles were $370. We had to brick down the ensuite entrance and put a frame in there for $350ish. All up we went way over budget, spending $25000 on extras! It all adds up! Btw, we were priced $1500 for overhead cupboards. It all adds up! Very happy so far.

Our consultant is Lindy, she is great. We went to the display last night and it was definately a nice home. we sat down with her and we made a few small changes to allow for more WIR, more storage, better ensuite, better kitchen etc.

I will post updated drawing when i get it. very excited.

So far it looks like titles for our block wont be released till June so house should be ready by Feb/March Next year. yay for January Sales

We are very luck as our site supervisor will be my girfriend's dad's good friend, so we have piece of mind that there will be little or no stress on the building side of things.

cant wait to show you guys the updated plans.

They reckon 10 days, but i might take the plan and alter it on my AutoCAD software and show you guys

Where you guys beuilding in Aubin Grove, we are in Aubin Gardens on Descanso Loop. 1 min walk to future recreational oval and primary school with another oval
wiked.
Quote:
Our consultant is Lindy, she is great. We went to the display last night and it was definately a nice home. we sat down with her and we made a few small changes to allow for more WIR, more storage, better ensuite, better kitchen etc.

Hi Wrexster, glad to see another building with New Gen
. Lindy was our Sales Consultant too; she is great! Nothing is too much trouble for her and she is always willing to help. We are also building in Aubin Grove, but at The Walk. Looking forward to seeing the updated plans
wrexter
Thanks for the replies guys.

oops i forgot and dont worry, i will definately be upgrading all shower doors to semi-frameless pivot doors. i cant stand curtains. i cant believe people do.

as for the theatre we plan on asking for them to put in door frames and my partner and i can put in double french doors later.

as for colours, we havent discussed it too much but we have an idea of what we like

roof: charchoal coloured clay tiles
render: something light
garage: wooden look (darak jarah color)

Welcome to the forum. I am the opposite don't like the doors on showers and prefer the curtain that I can just ditch when gets soap scum and mouldy lol. But its all personal preference. I think I have just cleaned too many showers in my life
Expecting the quote any day now!!! will post up the updated plans, meanwhile here are ideas for how mu kitchen will look like:

The kitchen is where im doing most of the upgrading , i love cooking and damnit i want a good kitchen, the center of the house so worth it.

will be going with laminex 'freestle'' benchtops instead of the normal laminates:

or

Summit Homes 'Luxxe' Design

Summit Homes 'Xanthus' Design
Ok im jelous!
shonzilla
Ok im jelous!

x2

Our kitchen will look something like the latter two when it's done. What colours are you going for?
ok guys, just a quick update.

Received the updated plans as per our changes. the kitchen remains unchanged until we sit down with our consultant next week after round 1 of costing updates. also will try and add a bit of storage space in the garage?

Main changes, theatre, bed 1, ensuite, WIR (to fit custom wardrobe both sides and another in front of doors), laundry.

Hey

I like the changes you've made so far. Glad the ensuite worked out, what will you do with that empty space between it and the WIR ?
Candylea
Hey

I like the changes you've made so far. Glad the ensuite worked out, what will you do with that empty space between it and the WIR ?

that empty space is also the WIR

something like this for my partner and me

Oh I see now... haha good thinking 99
Candylea
Oh I see now... haha good thinking 99

i hope the custom wardrobe doesnt send me broke. i will change it so the french doors into the WIR open ourwards instead of inwards.

loving how this house is coming together
yay for new gen.
Lookin good!

I wish I had your ensuite!
and look at all the hanging space!

Almost as good as carrie's WIR in sx in the city movie - How I would love that!
thinking about incorporating an entertainment recess in the living area

like this:

What do you guys think?
Related
5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

8/02/2024
Skirting/Windows Trim acceptable tolerance/gaps

Building A New House

Caulking gaps that big will look horrible

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum