Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Garage skirting - standards?

Page 1 of 1
Hi, in doing a search for "garage skirting" here at Homeone, I only found a couple of previous threads. In one of them, the poster had been advised that garage skirting needed to be raised off the floor level, as the garage was deemed to be a "wet" area.

I'm just wondering if there is any actual building / code standard in respect of adding skirting boards to garages? It seems that many homes are built without any skirting in this area at all (and imo the finished area looks pretty ugly without it). But I have also read about synthetic skirting boards that won't buckle and can thus be used in wet areas.

So what's the situation here? Can skirting be added at garage floor / slab level at all, or is it required to be raised off the floor? If it has to be raised off the floor, there hardly seems any point in adding it imo, since for me one of the primary reasons for adding skirting is to create an aesthetically appealing finish at the exact point where the wall meets the floor (and not 10 cm off the slab!!).
I got custom cut strips of composite board all around. Not waterproof but if your garage is flooded you got other issues bigger than garage skirting.
I am sure garage is not a wet area because it is not serviced by water however that does not mean the floor cannot get wet from driven rain or door leaks. The common sense would demand some clearance from the floor but its not mandatory and I am not aware of any standards that require it to be so. Plaster sheet itself is usually hung with 10mm clearance to the floor.
Thank you very much for the replies. I think I will discuss installing some sort of synthetic skirting with the builder. I saw these over the weekend, for example and they look quite good (on the website at least):

http://www.archiprofiles.com.au/product ... bcat_id=10
My skirting is raised off the garage floor a little. Had never considered it might be raised for a reason. I have thought about caulking between skirting and slab, as the slab under skirting look messy- due to framing behind plaster I imagine.
I’ve been to other homes by my builder and didn’t see skirting raised off floor/slab as standard.

Mr Sausage If you do use skirting from the link, I would be interested to hear what you think. I’ve considered using the cover skirting from this supplier in my parents’ house.
Related
10/10/2023
Waterproofing standards

Bathrooms and Laundry

Does this look right for the laundry?

23/04/2024
Current bathroom waterproofing standards

Bathrooms and Laundry

We are having a bathroom reddone. The builders are putting down two coats of waterproofing and then screed and then another coat of waterproofing. This is what I have been…

26/04/2024
Choosing lighting pendants that will comply with standards

Lighting + Lighting Design

I am trying to find lighting for kitchen, dining areas but looking online, I don’t know if there are specific details I should be looking at to make sure any lights I…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum