Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

What happens on Settlement day??When to move in?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All we bought a house in NSW in December. Our settlement is on Fri 2nd February. Our loan is approved from westpac, we created the accounts and received loan papers etc. Already deposited the 10% to the real estate agent at the time of contract exchange.

Now we want move in to the house on Sat 3rd February. Is it possible to finish all the formalities on the day of settlement on 2nd February and get the keys on the same day? Or does it take a few more days? I already booked removals on 3rd February, next day of the settlement date, Should i reschedule the removalist? I am so worried now.

Thanks in advance
Hi Kisakib,

Congratulations, how exciting!

Yes - all going to plan you should get your keys on the 2nd. Basically settlement (when all the lawyers & lenders meet to exchange documents and money, or it’s done electronically now - but you don’t need to be there) happens (usually 2:30 in the afternoon) and around half an hour later the real estate agent is given go ahead to release the keys to you.

Don’t forget these things that happen just prior to settlement:
I’m assuming you’ve signed and returned your loan docs?
If you have any more contribution to make, put that into your solicitors trust account or westpac account that has authority to draw for settlement
Sign the transfer with your solicitor
Make sure your house is insured
And as near as possible to settlement do a final inspection

Good luck!
becjarrettdalton
Hi Kisakib,

Congratulations, how exciting!

Yes - all going to plan you should get your keys on the 2nd. Basically settlement (when all the lawyers & lenders meet to exchange documents and money, or it’s done electronically now - but you don’t need to be there) happens (usually 2:30 in the afternoon) and around half an hour later the real estate agent is given go ahead to release the keys to you.

Don’t forget these things that happen just prior to settlement:
I’m assuming you’ve signed and returned your loan docs?
If you have any more contribution to make, put that into your solicitors trust account or westpac account that has authority to draw for settlement
Sign the transfer with your solicitor
Make sure your house is insured
And as near as possible to settlement do a final inspection

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Bec, I spoke to the broker again today. he said lender is ready and he has sent all the signed papers etc. final inspection this Wednesday afternoon.
insurance kicks in from this Monday, seller vacating today
fingers crossed
Perfect! Enjoy!
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum