Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

Feedback on Zincalume roof

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, I have searched this topic and didn't find much. Any comments are welcome

Our builder offers a basic range of concrete tiles or Zincalume as standard for the roof. I'm fairly sure we will go for red brick (no render), and our facade is very simple, traditional style. (We also live in an established area where most houses are 50s/60s/70s style)
Whenever I look at Colorbond roofs I prefer the lighter grey tones, which are very similar to Zincalume anyway. If we choose roof tiles I only like the darker grey colours with red brick, and having a dark roof at the moment, I can tell you it definitely gets hot in a Perth summer!
SO my question is, does Zincalume age well and resist obvious fading/rust/discolouration? I'm a bit suspicious of it because its in the builders 'cheapo' range, not many people seem to use it, and I really don't want it to look like a tin shed

Whoops I SO didn't mean to post it on this section!! Can one of the mods please move it? Sorry!!
Whereabouts are you building???

Many new estates and certain councils will not allow the use of Zincalume roof. We found that both when we built where we are now in Somerly (it was in the estate guidelines) so we went with Surfmist and also with our new build, the shire won't allow it (I think it interferes with the RAAF planes or something). They did allow Surfmist on our shed roof

I think that is why most new home builders don't use it - 'cause it doesn't fit with estate guidelines.

If you are in an established area you might not have that issue, but still check with council especially if on or near flight paths
Thanks for that! We're building near bayswater. So not far from the airport etc but not in the flight path.
We have a zinculume roof, old weatherboard, personally with the right house I reckon it looks sensational, better than colourbond, but that is just me...if you are in Kilsyth, we are in Croydon...no planes have landed in the backyard yet.
zoe's mama
Thanks for that! We're building near bayswater. So not far from the airport etc but not in the flight path.

No worries. Can't help with if Zincalume is an inferior product to colourbond?? Curious to know
???
Zincalume is not an inferior product...it is just not painted...that's about it...comes down to personal choice...and councils too I suppose!
I would ring the council and ask them. I am certain they werent allowed in the metro area in Perth in the past but the bayswater council will know if you can do it or not (I suspect not though because I havent seen a plain zincalume roof in Perth that I can think of
)
How do zincalume roofs age? That is, do they discolour with time?
Ok I think I'll check with the council or maybe get the builder to. I think I have seen several zincalume roofs around the place but I could be mistaken.
It would be interesting to know if it's changed but the issue was it was too reflective but I have seen houses with a similar although more modern look but they seem to have some type of coating to make them look quite dull so i cant tell if they're colourbonded or have some other coating to dull them down. It would be a great look in bayswater though so if there's anywhere you could do it that would be the place
I am building in Bassendean, WA, the builder listed Colorbond as standard, but I chose Zincalume instead as it is cheaper and has better thermal properties. My site is near the airport, but not on a flightpath, I checked with the council and they said there are no restrictions on using Zincalume.

My parents used Zincalume on their house in Shenton Park, WA, built ~7 years ago, again, no problem.

Zincalume is every bit as robust as Colorbond, if not more, think of Colorbond as Zincalume + paint. You can see here that the only things used on the Zincalume to create Colorbond are primers to ensure paint adhesion and UV protection and abrasion resistance for the paint itself:

http://www.colorbond.com/index.cfm?objectId=8FD7DDF9-E507-5411-2B2C1F48E5D42BE6
We are also in Perth and used zincalume on our first build which was 10 years ago now. I drove past the house the other day and the zincalume roof still looks good. The neighbours on either side had a dark green and a dark blue roof and 10 years on both have faded quite noticeably.
Hydaral
I am building in Bassendean, WA, the builder listed Colorbond as standard, but I chose Zincalume instead as it is cheaper and has better thermal properties. My site is near the airport, but not on a flightpath, I checked with the council and they said there are no restrictions on using Zincalume.

My parents used Zincalume on their house in Shenton Park, WA, built ~7 years ago, again, no problem.

Zincalume is every bit as robust as Colorbond, if not more, think of Colorbond as Zincalume + paint. You can see here that the only things used on the Zincalume to create Colorbond are primers to ensure paint adhesion and UV protection and abrasion resistance for the paint itself:

http://www.colorbond.com/index.cfm?objectId=8FD7DDF9-E507-5411-2B2C1F48E5D42BE6

great to know... thanks very much
Related
21/02/2024
Zincalume Staining

General Discussion

Hi, I have an area of zincalume cladding encasing a number of external downpipes. Unfortunately one of them has been permanently stained by some diluted phosphoric acid -…

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum