Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

How to save thousands on your mortgage

Page 2 of 2
What Glenglen is talking about is exactly the dilemma I found myself in when we went to build a new house but wanted to keep our current one. You can not use an increased loan against your current principal place of residence to turn it into an investment property. Therefore by using an interest only loan with an offset you can still use the full loan value eventually for an investment loan. If the value of your house goes up significantly over time however you still don't get that much of a benefit.

Because I did not do that I ended up buying half of my house from my wife. Supposedly this is all fine and you get to use the new loan as a tax deduction, this also meant that there were no stamp duty implications.
Hi room4acubby

Sounds like a lot of hassle. At least you now know how to structure your loan the first time and save you all that hassle.

You only lose out if you ever turn your current home into an investment, depending how much of the principal you pay off depends how much tax you can't claim. I always seem to want to build again (to get it right this time) but don't want to sell my houses and this works the best for tax purposes. Plus, I don't know what going to happen in the future so going this way gives me more choices later on.
I agree with Glen Glen,

If you think that your PPOR may become a investment property down the track, it is alot better to use the IO/Offset account combination as it allows you to have maximum borrowings against a tax deductable debt, as opposed to a PPOR which is not tax deductable.
Related
6/03/2024
Can you save money with an architect?

General Discussion

I've just had a look at the website. The company are just building broker's. There are plenty of similar companies that basically draw your plans (they own them so you…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum