Join Login
Building ForumHome Finance

Loan repayments during registration/building phase

Page 1 of 1
Hi there wonderful person!
We have just secured a block in qld with the initial deposit. Registration of the land is not until May 2022. We have already chosen the builder and the design is cleared for the block with a quote provided and the builder asking for a 3k deposit. Builder has mentioned that build time is approx 6months.
My questions are:
1. At what point would we need to pay the next large sum and start the house/land loan (already have preapproval)
2. During the registration/building phase assuming the loan has started do we have to pay full repayments I.e interest +balance as during this period we will also have to pay rent.
Thanks for your time…
T.B.R
Forgot to add:
3. Are there any tax confessions to consider during this period
Hello, enjoy the process!

To point 1 - if you’ve already exchanged on the block then nothing more to pay there until settlement (after registration). The next payment to the builder is typically 5% of the contract & normally not until the bank approves and you have the contract, plans, specs etc - but I’m seeing builders asking for a bit more for drafting etc at the moment. Either way, next big payment there is the deposit stage.

In terms of repayments - it depends on how your loan is setup, and you can check this and change it between now and then - most banks want interest only repayments on the balance owed as you progressively draw down the loan. This will suit you too while you’re renting.

So, that’s interest only on the land
Then interest only on the land and build deposit
And interest only on the land, build deposit and slab
Interest only on the land, build deposit, slab & frame…

Etc. reverting to principle and interest repayments at completion.
ThunderboltsRock
Forgot to add:
3. Are there any tax confessions to consider during this period

Is it your own home or investment? If it’s your own home the considerations are around the stamp duty concession and any first home grant available.

Investment - you used to be able to claim the interest during constructing but I don’t believe you can anymore - it’s now added to the base cost for CGT.
First home buyer
Related
5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

21/09/2023
KDR - Home Equity Loan vs Construction Loan

Home Finance

The biggest challenge will be if you take out a loan and then run out of money - you'll have an incomplete security and lenders do not like this so you can get stuck.…

20/06/2023
What's unreasonable to check during a final inspection ?

Building A New House

i would suggest nothing is unreasonable for PCI. we did all sorts, including checking the hot water, checking all the GPO's had power, testing that the showers were…

You are here
Building ForumHome Finance
Home
Pros
Forum