Join Login
Building ForumBugs & Suggestions

Suggestion: Kids forum on HO

Page 2 of 2
homeone
Thanks for your feedback.

The suggested forum is not intended to be directly or indirectly targeted at children, but rather parents of.

Question is, with the current title and description proposed, do you think it will attract children in engaging in conversation. Will it be misconstrued to suggest it's a forum for children?

My suggestion is perhaps lead the description with something like "Parents can discuss..." - something to that effect.

Still up for debate.

Ash (royalblue), what are your thoughts?

Since you asked, I feel this forum is already pretty busy with all sorts of rooms. I think the suggested forum abouts kids stuff is quite unnecessary. If the proposal is to discuss decorating and issues to do with kids rooms, these already are adequately catered for in current rooms.

Folk here are getting too bloody excited about all sorts of stuff, and more & more rooms makes the forum too busy to navigate.

Care should be taken to not allow any stuff (however innocently) here that might be misconstrued as attracting children.

Ash.
royalblue
homeone
Thanks for your feedback.

The suggested forum is not intended to be directly or indirectly targeted at children, but rather parents of.

Question is, with the current title and description proposed, do you think it will attract children in engaging in conversation. Will it be misconstrued to suggest it's a forum for children?

My suggestion is perhaps lead the description with something like "Parents can discuss..." - something to that effect.

Still up for debate.

Ash (royalblue), what are your thoughts?

Since you asked, I feel this forum is already pretty busy with all sorts of rooms. I think the suggested forum abouts kids stuff is quite unnecessary. If the proposal is to discuss decorating and issues to do with kids rooms, these already are adequately catered for in current rooms.

Folk here are getting too bloody excited about all sorts of stuff, and more & more rooms makes the forum too busy to navigate.

Care should be taken to not allow any stuff (however innocently) here that might be misconstrued as attracting children.

Ash.

Hmmmm i have to agree to some extent with Ash on that one. Homeone has a very high google ranking and if we were to add or mention kids or children on here, that would make it a little easier for kids to log on or for unsuitable material to be spammed targeted towards children....

Jason, at the end of the day it is up to you. I can see both sides of the discussion though...
royalblue
Ash.

IMO this forum is fairly innocuous and I need to be a lot more careful about what my child watches on foxtel or accesses through the Barbie website than anything on HO. However I cannot imagine her or any child being interested in home issues (its hard enough getting her to our building site for a regular visit).

I think of a place we stayed in Kangaroo Island which was cleverly designed for adults but had a separate area suitable for young children. It was close to the family room and kitchen and was fully set up for entertaining children. That room made our holiday a delight. We knew where the kids were, they were highly entertained, and didn't feel disconnected from adults.

I guess I am hoping we can create something that is dedicated to improving design for children on HO. Perhaps I am being idealistic but I think that good design incorporates the needs of all family members and takes into account all aspects of building i.e. home theatre, gardens, kitchen, play rooms etc.

We could put this to the vote in the general discussion forum. To be honest I am not fussed either way and its your decision Jason.
Sometimes it's wise to simply say "I don't know".

I don't know as yet as I too am seeing this from both perspectives.

There are options of hiding the forum, so it only appears upon member log in.

Perhaps I'll need a little more time on this one.
Quite honestly!!!!

Kids would be bored to tears here!!!!!!
I can’t even get my 26 year old daughter interested in having a look at this site!

I don’t think we have much to worry about there. Not unless we start pumping out loud music
Or have live video games going on.

We’re safe from them…….
Maybe so, but I think we don't need to have a room for every classification we can think of. This forum already has more than enough.

All the stuff like decorating kids rooms, study areas, play areas etc are adequately catered for in existing rooms.
Homeone and Dy…..I don’t mind having all the kid related questions put into my forum!??

I think that’s a good spot anyway….since I’m supposed to know…..
royalblue
Maybe so, but I think we don't need to have a room for every classification we can think of. This forum already has more than enough.

All the stuff like decorating kids rooms, study areas, play areas etc are adequately catered for in existing rooms.

Ash I take your point but this is more than simply decorating a kids room. Its about the planning, design, resources & creation of physical environments that support kids learning and development.

Perhaps we can cover this in Michelle's room.
Quote:
Ash I take your point but this is more than simply decorating a kids room. Its about the planning, design, resources & creation of physical environments that support kids learning and development.

Perhaps we can cover this in Michelle's room.

Michelles Decorating for Young ones

I know what you are aiming at Dee but perhaps it is a bit of nirvana.

Yes it could be good to have an area that kids can login, discuss and learn about decorating, but I think the potential numbers might not be that well visited, (I may well be wrong too) Next question - is this the sort of place that a young decorator and other kids would tend to visit regularly to discuss such things?

Hmm.....
Maybe. - Maybe not.

My thoughts.
Steve
I give up

Suggest we keep to the staus quo
DeeElle
I give up

Suggest we keep to the status quo
Hey Dy, I still luv ya!!!

Let Jason ponder it for a while and go from there????

More than likely it will end up in Mish's decorating Lounge, if Jason goes with it???
Happy to have it!!
ahh you sweet girls. Luv u back.

But I do agree with the other side of the coin so happy either way.
I also think that simply going via the various sub-forums on HO parents can find what information they want on decorating kids' rooms and catering for the young ones. I have a pretty artisitc eight year old son who, while happy to break out into a song and dance piece from "Priscilla" at a set of traffic lights as we await our crossing opportunity, there's NO WAY he'd be interested in going to the HO website for whatever reason.

Keep to the status quo, and let people ask questions on kids' decorating within the confines of the current forums.

JMHO.

Fiona
Related
29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

13/03/2024
Suggestion for my living room interior

General Discussion

Thank for yes basically what to remove and what to add, where to place them

You are here
Building ForumBugs & Suggestions
Home
Pros
Forum