Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Question regarding screwing down deck

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone

I've almost finished my deck!!!

I have a quick question though.... I'm using 200mm by 50mm by 2.4 metre sleepers for the deck instead or traditional decking. At the moment I'm screwing it down at each end plus in the middle, but I do have joists in between the middle and the ends. Do I need to screw the sleepers onto those joists too? I would prefer not to, but I'll do it if it's the better thing to do.

Thanks
Dean

just to be clear You're using 200x50 sleepers as decking timber that youre going to walk on? Instead of like normal decking timber? Why might i ask.

What are the sleepers? Just standard treated pine?

It doesnt sound like theyll move but treated pine is pretty 'wet' and subject ot bowing and twisting. Added screws will stop that.

What screws are you using? Have you got photos of your job?
Great choice, we have used sleepers for decking on a few projects, and about to do another. Looks the bomb, really does. You wont need to screw down any more than you have if you have gone hardwood. If you have used pine you may find they will warp, and you will want to still put 2 screws per joist as they will cup - yes, 50mm thick will still cup!
good luck and dont forget to post some photos!
Related
7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

22/01/2024
Regarding Burbank Bricks

General Discussion

Hi All, Recently we have signed a contract with Burbank and we are not aware that they have just DORSET, SURREY, HAMPSHIRE, KENT, PILBARA and REDGUM bricks from PGH are…

28/01/2024
Need urgent help regarding facade colour combination please

Building A New House

Thank you @. Tried to play with the facade models but the exact colour is not matching up.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum