Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Help with wall mounted TV's

Page 1 of 1
The room off our kitchen is going to have a wall mounted TV. We have no idea where to put the foxtel box.
We are thinking that our only option is in one of the cupboards in the kitchen, and you have to reach around to switch the channel over.
Some more suggestions would be great
Can't you put a nice low line entertainment unit under it?
Or a floating shelf underneath?
Lowline cabinet with in wall cabling...
We didnt want a lowline or any shelves on that wall,
We will have the cabinet set up in the media room, but didnt want any shelves etc on that wall, we are also having all the cables hidden in the wall, so they dont hang down.
Thats ok, we might just have to hide the foxtel box in the kitchen.
acrebuild1
The room off our kitchen is going to have a wall mounted TV. We have no idea where to put the foxtel box.
We are thinking that our only option is in one of the cupboards in the kitchen, and you have to reach around to switch the channel over.
Some more suggestions would be great

if it is just standard Foxtel box you can put it just behind the TV, between TV and the wall, just need to make sure you have got enough space there.
Get a remote extender and it can do anywhere (within audio/video cable reach). We had ours in a the media room and used a "multi-room adapter" for the remote. Connected via a 10m RCA cable from selby's accoustics. Worked great.

I didn't want a low line unit under Wall mount TV either.
I agree with fitting it behind the TV if there's enough room and it doesn't cause airflow issues. Or make up a shelf the exact same footprint as the foxtel box that hangs off the wall mount and you can sit the box on it either above or below the tv.
Sierra is right. You can put the Foxtel box anywhere and run cables from it to the TV. For controlling it you (should - wireless IR systems are nowhere near as stable/reliable as wired ones) run some Cat5E cable (standard old-school phone wire will also work - it only needs 3 cores/conductors, just Cat5E is more commonly readily available these days...) from the Foxtel box to the TV for an IR repeater, then all you need is a small IR receiver/target stuck on the front of the TV and nothing else needs to be in the room.

Just make sure the IR system is GUARANTEED to work with the Foxtel box (version) you get!
Thanks Rod.
i have the foxtel guy coming next week, so he should know what to do. (you would think)
My electrician is on site until tomorrow arvo so i will ask him tomorrow also
acrebuild1
Thanks Rod.
i have the foxtel guy coming next week, so he should know what to do. (you would think)

based on my experience I think you might be expecting a bit much of your Foxtel installer
paulw11
acrebuild1
Thanks Rod.

based on my experience I think you might be expecting a bit much of your Foxtel installer

Agreed.
acrebuild1
Thanks Rod.

Foxtel installer will do only what he is get paid for :

1. Run Foxtel cable
2. Install skirting plate or wall plate, and
3. connect Foxtel box to this wall plate.

You should not expect from Foxtel installer to run cables inside the wall, Foxtel installer is not getting paid for this.
Damm straight... Be why i offer clients to run a conduit for the foxtel guy especially for internal walls
I shouldn't be too hard on the installers. They do what they are paid to do - and they aren't paid to help with whole house AV integration
ok, thanks for the thumbs up guys.
Related
1/09/2023
Moving a chandelier after it has been mounted

Lighting + Lighting Design

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding moving a chandelier after it has been mounted. The chandelier in question is quite large, measuring 4 meters…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

18/02/2024
Retaining wall not built to specifications, PC help

General Discussion

Thanks for your reply! All valid points and I agree with you on many of them. I am in QLD, any recommendations on a construction lawyer would be helpful

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum