Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Wireless n and g question

Page 1 of 1
Following on from my question earlier....I was told by a bloke at D@ck Smiths that my laptop would not work with a wl N router as it only has wl G. I then read on the internet that it would work, but wouldnt improve the speed at all. Do you guys know anything about this? I know you can get an USB adaptor for the N router, but I am more interested in getting an N router for the gigabit ethernet ports.

Cheers,

Ryan
it will work but there won't be any increase in speed and as "G" isn't a duplex standard you will have very slow speeds a second or 3 device is added.

"N" is a duplex standard meaning as it sends it also receives and is a longer and stronger wireless signal (depending on your router/ if you have LoS to it and other things)

maybe have a look over at OCAU or whingepool err i mean whirlpool and have a see what peopel recommend.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
Thanks Pugs. Appreciate it!
I think it would be fair to say that most wireless routers are backward compatible. Check the specs for the individual one you are looking at.

Cheers
What's the model of your wireless N router?
There's about a 99% chance that the router is compatible with G. It would make no sense for a manufacturer to try and phase out G, especially when N is still not mainstream. The bloke at DS was most likely trying to upsell you a wireless N adapter for your laptop
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum