Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who certifies the build?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys. Just wondering about the actual building process and having inspections done. In Qld, who inspects and certifies the build especially the pre pour slab stage, is it the external consultant (engineer) who was contracted by the builder to design the footings or builder can appoint their own or from the council?

I’m confused about if whether the required process is whoever is the structural engineer who design the footings, he should be the one to inspect it and give certification, that’s what I think should happen, but is that the case?

I would like if the engineer who designs it will inspect it and even more supervise it. Am I allowed to contact the structural engineer and request them to supervise at my own cost? What is the estimate cost of this?

If I hire a building inspector at each stage, and for example they find mistakes especially at pre slab stage, can I get their findings to the builder to correct, what grounds do I have to get them to correct it if it has been signed off by their certifier?

Basically, I want to make sure they get it right at foundations so I would like the structural engineer to inspect. Please confirm if engineer do come and inspect the build first before slab stage?? Thanks a lot
Building Surveyors(BS) can only certify the work as per the NCC
If the build details are different chances are it is an alternate solution or worse....unsafe rubbish?
Structural engineers certify alternate Solutions as "fit for purpose" and unsafe structural elements as "Not fit for purpose"
The problem arise when the tradie/builder/ inspector or BS says it's an acceptable alternate Solution when it's not and you won't know if it's unsafe
Structural elements ie footings, beams, suspended slabs etc should always be inspected by your own Independent Engineer
OT The builders engineer is instructed, what to check and is paid accordingly, who checks the structural items/things that aren't paid for?
I suggest you check with your Council Building department
BTW the smart money is on taking the right photos, asking qualified professionals questions before the work is completed and covered up and always give the builder sufficient notice of inspections prior, in case the structural concrete work has to be halted, no one likes having to turn back a concrete truck during a pour.
Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris for your input. So let me clarify, I need to get an independent structural engineer on top of the builder’s engineer?

If for example the independent engineer I hired finds issues with the structural elements, is the builder obligated to fix it even if they have their own engineer? Thanks..

I will call our local council building dept to inquire..
FHObuild
I will call our local council building dept to inquire..

Good move and ask them what hasn't the builders engineer provided/certified?
OT
I bet the Unit owners of Opal Towers knowing what they know now, would have also wanted their own Independent engineers certifying the structural elements/build here
Opal Builder structural failure
Cheers
Chris
If you have had to get a seperate Geotech report it’s normally the Geotech who provides certification of the ground conditions for footings.

If no Geotech was required I think the builder or Structural Eng. can sign off.

Either way it should be on the first page under ‘Foundation’ or ‘Footings’ of the for construction structural drawings.

Get it right because retrospective footing sign offs are a pain and can be costly.
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum