Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

At what stage is electricity, gas, NBN/phone connected?

Page 1 of 1
Hi, when a new house is built in an older area, such as knock down and rebuild or a sub divide, at what stage is the site reconnected to electricity, water, gas and nbn/phone? As well as my reno project, I'm building a pair of new houses as a sub division. My NBN hub is being down by the builder, but

- when will Telstra come out to connect them? Apparently they need 3-6 months notice, is that right?
- when will the houses get connected to electricity again? How long when when they are built does an electricity retailer normally take to come along and plug the house in? How much does a connection normally cost?

I know they could be questions to ask the builder but, once you sign the contract to build man, their response time becomes infuriating
If your street is NBN enabled, you can order it to be installed the day after handover. Mine took 2 weeks from date of order.

My builder connected the electricity for themselves to use during the build and paid the bill. At handover I had the option of continuing with the same provider or switching to one of my choice.

It was all very simple and smooth. This was for a kdr in an old inner city area
brokenstick
If your street is NBN enabled, you can order it to be installed the day after handover. Mine took 2 weeks from date of order.

My builder connected the electricity for themselves to use during the build and paid the bill. At handover I had the option of continuing with the same provider or switching to one of my choice.

Thanks
brokenstick

Also, how long did your services normally take to disconnect from the old place. Telstra giving me the full on run around atm, and the power company not being much fun either.
What state are you in? It's not that simple

Doozer1905
What state are you in? It's not that simple

SA
Okay, I know nothing in that state, but communications is the same federally and yes telstra are right, you firstly need to register the development with Telstra Smart Communities, you will more than likely have to do a communications infrastructure plan (there are companies who specialize in this area), and this will need to be approved by either Telstra and NBN (depending what area you are in) then you engage someone to complete the infrastructure works after all this you then have to either pay Telstra or NBN to complete, its fairly expensive to do, and hopefully it's an NBN area as telstra costs are over the top

Doozer1905
Okay, I know nothing in that state, but communications is the same federally and yes telstra are right, you firstly need to register the development with Telstra Smart Communities, you will more than likely have to do a communications infrastructure plan (there are companies who specialize in this area), and this will need to be approved by either Telstra and NBN (depending what area you are in) then you engage someone to complete the infrastructure works after all this you then have to either pay Telstra or NBN to complete, its fairly expensive to do, and hopefully it's an NBN area as telstra costs are over the top

Thanks. It is an NBN area (phew). At the moment I need to get Telstra to disconnect the current cable (its an old foxtel cable and phone line) then I'm just hoping to get the 2 new houses connected.
No that wont happen, you have to register your development with Testra Smart Communities even if it's in an NBN area and can take up to 6 months

Doozer1905
No that wont happen, you have to register your development with Testra Smart Communities even if it's in an NBN area and can take up to 6 months

6 months for them to reconnect or 6 months for them to just detach the current cable before I can demolish the house?
pumpkin11
brokenstick

Also, how long did your services normally take to disconnect from the old place. Telstra giving me the full on run around atm, and the power company not being much fun either.

Power and gas took about 2 weeks each (they said to allow a month). I also had to do an overhead to underground power conversion which took about a month (this doesn't affect the supply so can be done anytime) and cost $3,500

At the time of demolition we didn't have NBN and had Optus cable for Internet, and no home phone. I just cancelled the Internet and cut the cable. I didn't do anything with Telstra, just cut the old phone line (which I wasnt using anyway)

NBN via HFC was rolled out to my street during my build, which was perfect timing
Related
11/05/2023
Building certificate for each stage

General Discussion

Not unless you have managed to put it as a special condition into the contract somehow.

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

20/12/2023
Theft and Vandalism at lock up stage

General Discussion

sure. its the builders problem.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum