Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Glendale 34 Limited Edition with Metricon in Wallan

Page 2 of 2
shokel1975
akashjohn2006
shokel1975
Hi sparekh, we are building the Glendale 42 in Melbourne (hoping to start just before or after Christmas). I would just suggest that if you have a display home near you, not to assume that everything in that home is standard. We found the following:

1. Windows in the living areas of the display home were larger (mainly the drop) - you can increase the size of your windows for free
2. The kitchen in the display home was wider - you can increase this at a cost
3. You can select floating vanities in the bathrooms for no extra cost
4. The balustrade at top of stairs in the display home was the same as going up the stairs, but the standard option is an ugly 1m high plaster wall - you can change this to be as per the display, but at a cost
5. Ensure you get under stair storage - at a cost
6. You can extend your alfresco to the edge of the house - approx $2000
7. Check if you have overhead cupboards in kitchen - generally it isn't standard

Good luck with your plans - it is an exciting time, but be prepared for slow going through the admin stage. M are notorious for it!

Also, double/triple check all floor plans and contracts that M send you. I have never yet had anything come back that didn't have mistakes or omissions. Attention to detail is needed on your part!

Enjoy the journey

Hi Shokel,

Do you remember the cost for replacing the 1m high plaster wall balustrate?. We are doing wrought iron rods as balustrade for the part going up the stairs. Just want to know whether it is a big upgrade if we decide to do the same at the top of stairs.

Thanks
John

Hi John, in the end, we didn't get charged. When our original CSC added it in as an upgrade, she told us there was no cost to make the change, but when we were making our stair selections at Studio M they told us we should have been charged about $2,000 for changing the wall to balustrade. They agreed to leave it as no cost, as I was getting pretty frustrated with them! However, Drew01 said he didn't even have to list it as an upgrade, it was supplied as part of the stairs (and we are building pretty much the same house). Just double check that the balustrade continues onto the first floor landing - don't mention upgrades/costs.

Thanks Shokel, I will see whether i can get away without paying.

Cheers.
John
We also didn't pay for our island bench top to be 3m long, as it's the size of a sheet of Caesarstone, so in theory we saved them money but late by them not having to make as many cuts...

If you go over 3m, it's a big cost as it requires a second sheet of Caesarstone

Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum