Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Changing locks necessary?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Been reading many horror stories about houses being broken into and things stolen immediately after handover. In most cases there are no signs of forced entry, so the insinuation is that’s its an inside job by those who have previously had access during the build.

Therefore, is it worthwhile getting the locks changed immediately after handover, or is there some other way to combat this ? Also read somewhere that you should reprogram the garage door, but not sure how you’d go about this.
This article explains about the locks that builders use:

http://anewhouse.com.au/2012/01/block-boundary-pegs/

I actually moved in on Handover day, although I was really camping in the house until my wife moved in a couple of days later.

I also arranged to get curtains installed the same day.
How it worked when I worked for a builder years ago was - The locks will be openable by the builders master key during the build but as soon as you use your individual key for the first time the builders master key will no longer work.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
but who has posession of the individual key up until handover
for a few hundred dollars have the locks rekeyed
Related
15/12/2023
Hydronic in screed -> insulation underneath necessary or no?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Currently renovating, and our main lounge is 5m x 10m, with a cathedral roof peaking at 6.5m high. Currently have tiles on concrete slab. Room is very hard to heat. I am…

30/08/2023
Changing selections after getting bank loan

General Discussion

How much are you ahead in payments compared to where the build is at? Have you fully drawn down the loan?

5/09/2023
Changing a window to a door - DA vs complying development

General Discussion

Hi All, I'm new here! I'm in a block of 4 apartments (Waverley council) and looking to change a window to a sliding door. The window faces an enclosed garden (with a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum