Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast

Page 5 of 44
Nice! We have a hallmark being built next to us on both sides, one nearly done and one not started

Wooo hooo BW that's awesome news. I hope it's on point with what you want included.

So, looking over the contracts, and there are a couple of things bothering me - would appreciate some advice from my expert forum friends!!!

They have raised the front windows to the underside of the soffit (to avoid cladding at the top due to increased ceiling height), but this means the top of our entry door is now lower than the top of the windows. I'm worried this will look a bit strange?!?

They have added smoke alarms to every bedroom (this is not required in QLD), and I don't like the idea of ugly smoke alarms at the entrance to every bedroom! Thoughts?

They have refused to put my bath spout and mixer at the end of the bath - do you think I can ask the plumber if he will move it for me when the build starts?

I'm sure I will find some more things.... but that's it for now!

- B

forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210
We have had smoke detectors added to outside each bedroom. I think it is a regulation that is coming in. You would have to get to talk to the plumber very early on in the build to make a change like that for the bath. I dont know how keen they'd be. What is the reason they wont put it at the end?

Smoke alarm regulations have recently changed in QLD so maybe that's why. Surely you can speak to your tradie about changing bath etc - but talk to other hallmark builds maybe

Smoke alarms are now required in each room
we hated it but they have to do it as regulations have changed

fleabee86

We have seven smoke detectors in our home. I pray that they don't all decide that their batteries need replacing and start screaming all at once in the middle of the night.
Hubby will have to peal me off the ceiling before we start running around changing the batteries
Thanks guys! I did some research, and they have indeed changed the law go smoke detectors. So be it then!

The reason they won't move my bath spout is "due to length of bath spout" - but there is only approx 72mm from wall to bath on the side wall, so I don't understand!!!! Should I push this issue with the builder?

Also, I have been given no kitchen elevations.... are these done at colours, or should I have gotten these already? I don't know how big my pot drawers are!!!??

And are 'stormwater field gullies" the same thing as "field gully's" on the site plan?

Can I make them change things in the contract before I sign it - or have I missed my chance by not requesting it before this point?

Sorry for all the questions.... I just really want to make sure I get this right!!!

- B

Awesome to have a contract to pour through. I can try to answer some the easier questions.

Definitely can make changes or clarifications on your contract before you sign it.. don't let anyone on their sales team tell you otherwise!
If they hum and haw.. a simple clear but courteous well what would you do if you were asked to sign a bank loan you didn't fully understand or a employment contract etc.

Even now I keep checking my contract and plans as I look at what's going up on our building site to make sure as much as possible nothing is getting altered for no good reason...

Don't let them bully you! 😈
Hi Bridgetwitch

Congrats on your contract, and like ruraldoc said changes can be made and added into your contract. And not feel pressured to sign, it's your home and you have to live with it not them.
Love the design! And look forward to seeing it go up
Just heard from the developer, and land registration is now expected to be October (instead of July). I am so disappointed... and a little angry.... and quite upset!!!

At this point I am ready to forget building a house at all and just take a really long luxurious holiday instead!

- B

Stink

HENRY
fleabee86

We have seven smoke detectors in our home. I pray that they don't all decide that their batteries need replacing and start screaming all at once in the middle of the night.
Hubby will have to peal me off the ceiling before we start running around changing the batteries

I think I laughed a little too hard at that

Ohw crap it BW, what the hell happened with the land?? Why are they saying it's going to take so much longer now??

I don't blame you for feeling a mixed bag of emotions, if it was me the land sales agent would have a very sore size 9 imprint up his bum! Our land did exactly the same thing, took 9 months from when we paid our deposit to settlements.

Maybe a little holiday would be nice??

Bridgetwitch
Just heard from the developer, and land registration is now expected to be October (instead of July). I am so disappointed... and a little angry.... and quite upset!!!

At this point I am ready to forget building a house at all and just take a really long luxurious holiday instead!

- B

That's really disappointing sorry to hear this. We are going through the same ordeal with our land not yet registered and we put down the deposit since last year Sep, the developer have told us 2 weeks ago this week should get the land titled but its Thursday already. I hope you not going to wait too long but I have heard people waiting for nearly 2 years for their land so keep you head up and continue with you build.

During this time I would recommend if you can get in touch with your builder to find out which suppliers they use as their standard range and start making some appointments to visit them, this will help you a lot down the track when you go to the colour studio appointment.
So sorry Bridget!! That is a whole lot of crappy feelings for sure!!!

A holiday really does sound good though to be honest. A chance to just step a way for a bit...

We did that when we couldn't find suitable land for our first home design (was an acreage design) and it really helped us to re-frame what we really wanted from our forever home!

Will continue to follow for any positive updates!!
Thanks Rural!
I think your right about taking a pause.... I will sort out these sh*t contract dramas then just leave it for a while. I have been so consumed by this journey since June last year.... it's exhausting!!!

- B

Sorry to hear of your troubles sweets!!

Building is such an emotional stressful journey, and then land Reg on top of building is a whole different ball park that adds a whole different kind of stress and anxiety, not sure why we put ourselves through it all hey... the end result is what's getting me through at this present time.

A holiday sounds fab, even a weekend away a couple of hours away from where you live sounds divine, treat yourself lovely!! A break sounds like what you need, doesn't have to be long but just a mental reprieve.

You have my sympathies, hugs to you chick, but I know you're a tough cookie and you'll be back bigger and badder than ever

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=83643
I have to honestly give you a big hand to even start with builders when your land hasn't registered I would not have the guts to do that at all. A break from it all might be good to stand back and take perspective. Don't be railroaded by any builder

charlibear
Sorry to hear of your troubles sweets!!

Building is such an emotional stressful journey, and then land Reg on top of building is a whole different ball park that adds a whole different kind of stress and anxiety, not sure why we put ourselves through it all hey... the end result is what's getting me through at this present time.

A holiday sounds fab, even a weekend away a couple of hours away from where you live sounds divine, treat yourself lovely!! A break sounds like what you need, doesn't have to be long but just a mental reprieve.

You have my sympathies, hugs to you chick, but I know you're a tough cookie and you'll be back bigger and badder than ever

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=83643

Thanks Charli.

It really is such a huge stress! I'm feeling very deflated atm... and if hubby wasn't working 10 hours a day, six days a week then I would plan some time away.

Dealing with an 11 year old with ASD, and a very demanding almost 3 year old doesn't help matters - but such is life! This too shall pass.... or so they say!

- B

Related
28/02/2024
Air-Conditioning Installers/Suppliers NSW Central Coast

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Anybody know any good and reasonably priced Air conditioning contractors/companies that could install a ducted air conditioning system in the Central Coast NSW for a small…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum