Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My first build - Celebration Homes - Brightwood Baldivis WA

Page 1 of 8
Hi all,

Long time lurker! Thought it was about time I created my build thread so I can throw out some of my scribbled notes!

I'm building with Celebrations in Stage 2 of Brightwood Baldivis. I'm possibly a little different to others in how my timeline has worked out, as I've taken care of most of the admin while I'm waiting for titles, paying off other debt and saving the balance of my deposit. Here is my timeline:

- 30/5: Selected my preferred block, signed my PWC (Preliminary Works Contract) and paid $2k house deposit.
- 8/6: Signed contract for sale of land
- 9/6: Paid $2k deposit on land to secure my preferred block
- 14/6: Submitted elevation change (I went with the Rio elevation, but added a window to the WIR at the left)
- 25/7: Received first finance extension to 1/11 (as standard contract is only 60 days)
- 24/8: Received drawings, contract, preliminary addenda and HBCA building contract.
- 24/8: First selection room attendance (2 more followed before prestart)
- 30/8: Met with Intelligent Homes to discuss nbn/data/tv details
- 13/9: Prestart meeting
- 22/9: Titles issued (they were due mid October, which normally means mid November, so I was surprised!)
- 20/9: Final Plans including Prestart changes
- 20/9 - 5/10: Multiple queries sent to CH and answered promptly (with a couple of minor items tidied up on plans/addenda)
- 26/10: Finance extension on land to 13/1/17
- 1/11: Engineer attendance
- 28/11: Building Permit issued
- 19/12: Requested another finance extension with land agent (had to come up with a larger deposit than expected).
- 21/12: Finance extension approved by land agent to 27/2/17.
- 31/1: Set up power and gas accounts (starting to feel real)
- 1/2: Requested and received final plans including updated site plan (now that site survey has been done)
- 13/2 - FORMAL APPROVAL!!
- Siteworks date to be added
- 27/3 - Slab down
- 19/4 - Bricklayer due to commence
-
- 15/8 - Lockup meeting - wet areas tiled, cabinets in, garage floor done.
Hi imightbedave,
Congrats on your block, looking forward to following your build.
Original plan:

Floorplan:

Elevations:

Electrical:

Wet areas:

So my major changes structurally were:

- Ensuite: Double shower $1,017, Additional basin $670, remove toilet door and wall -(minus)$380
- Bed 2/3: Increase size of Bed 2, add sliding mirrored robe. Bed 3 robe amended to be same as Bed 4.
- Replace shoppers entrance with benchtop (as there was none otherwise) in the laundry; moved door to hallway - $695
- Door height opening to theatre of 1690mm - $260
- Access door to rear of garage - $690
- Relocate manhole to garage

Electrical changes from original plan:
- Additional double GPO's to Bed 1, WIR, Laundry, Cinema, Kitchen - $350
- 2x External GPO's to front (near metre box), Alfresco (next to servery) - $296
- 2 way switch for front passage light - $72
- 3x 25mm conduits for future upgrades (ie Foxtel) - $165
- 4x Lights to front elevation (each pillar) - $240

Major Prestart upgrades:
- Solid core front door - $505
- Bed 2 robe changes - $500
- 2x pot drawers to kitchen - $450
- Door handles to Gainsborough Carla - $100 for all
- Carpet to second level option(Victoria Carpets) - $1,230
- 600x600mm floor tiles to living areas - $2,000
- Double undermount sink - $550
- TV & Network to Cinema and Bedroom 1 - $384 each / $768

Other inclusions/promos:
- 900mm appliances (included)
- Wall mixers in lieu of tap sets to bathrooms
- May 2016 Raised ceiling promo (30c ceilings, 27c in Alfresco, Porch and Garage) - $2,450
- Fixed cost siteworks (allowance $7,900.00)
- Plastic spoon drains to RWP
- 3 point NBN pack
- Paving to alfresco and driveway
- Retaining walls and fences, front landscaping (provided by developer)
- 'Complete Finishing package' (some have been upgraded further):

Caesarstone benchtops throughout (20mm)
Extended ensuite vanity up to 2m
Standard range carpet
Standard 400x400mm floor tiling
Painting throughout (one colour)
Standard range verticals or venetians

What's left?

The 'must haves' that I will have to do post-construction:

- Double doors to theatre
- Upgrade garage>passage door to solid
- Aircon
- Rear and side landscaping and retic
- Side gate
- Soakwells
- Crossover

So now I'm in a holding pattern until mid December when I have the rest of my funds together!

Hopefully this helps other prospective first builders! I found it frustrating not having easy access to upgrade costs trying to work out where I would prioritise my budget, hence I've included costs for most of the changes above.

Sing out if you have any questions!
ms_prez
Hi imightbedave,
Congrats on your block, looking forward to following your build.

Thanks!
Your plans look great. Definitely a great idea to add as much in as possible before prestart, we are currently doing the same thing. It can certainly add up very quickly !

Hey Dave,

Your plans look great. A lot of your pre-start additions are what we are looking at adding if we go with Celebration so thanks for giving prices on those. It gives us an idea of how much extra we might be spending. The main one was the changes to the theatre, I really prefer the idea of a closed off theatre.

I'm surprised the solid core door was not included in the original quote. Our sales rep made it sound like they come as standard, although that might be after all the media commotion about the quality of doors some builders were using recently as he did mention that when showing us the doors.
SilentBoB
Hey Dave,

Your plans look great. A lot of your pre-start additions are what we are looking at adding if we go with Celebration so thanks for giving prices on those. It gives us an idea of how much extra we might be spending. The main one was the changes to the theatre, I really prefer the idea of a closed off theatre.

I'm surprised the solid core door was not included in the original quote. Our sales rep made it sound like they come as standard, although that might be after all the media commotion about the quality of doors some builders were using recently as he did mention that when showing us the doors.

Thanks Bob. Glad they may help!

One other thing was that I wanted to upgrade internal doors to the Stanford, however I believe the quoted upgrade cost was $110 EACH!

Now this is a door that is available at Bunnings for $42. No labour changes (slightly extra work on painting perhaps) but that just knocked me off my seat. I'll upgrade those myself later on I think!

To clarify the solid core door leading to the backyard was included, just not the door leading from the garage into my front passage. I work in Insurance and have seen how easily hollow core doors can be kicked in, so if someone wants to come in I want to make it as difficult for them as possible!

Agreed the theatre should be closed off. Better for sound and won't disturb other guests. I have a mate who works for a door company so he recommended the 1690 opening - Originally they only allowed 1510 which would have meant the two doors would have been quite tiny and looked off.
ms_prez
Your plans look great. Definitely a great idea to add as much in as possible before prestart, we are currently doing the same thing. It can certainly add up very quickly !

Thanks ms_prez, it sure does add up! I had to go without a few things that I ideally would have liked, alas the budget is not bottomless! They were good enough to price everything I wanted, then it was just a case of working how many dollars I needed to cull, and cross off items until I was in budget. I've got most of the big ticket items I wanted so I'm pretty happy.

I had to go a promo that included painting and carpets, plus pay for blinds, as my lender is Keystart and they have strict criteria on what is in the contract. I would have much preferred to call in some favours with mates to do the painting post construction and instead go with the aircon or kitchen/entertainer promo, but oh well.
Imightbedave

Thanks Bob. Glad they may help!

One other thing was that I wanted to upgrade internal doors to the Stanford, however I believe the quoted upgrade cost was $110 EACH!

Now this is a door that is available at Bunnings for $42. No labour changes (slightly extra work on painting perhaps) but that just knocked me off my seat. I'll upgrade those myself later on I think!

To clarify the solid core door leading to the backyard was included, just not the door leading from the garage into my front passage. I work in Insurance and have seen how easily hollow core doors can be kicked in, so if someone wants to come in I want to make it as difficult for them as possible!

Agreed the theatre should be closed off. Better for sound and won't disturb other guests. I have a mate who works for a door company so he recommended the 1690 opening - Originally they only allowed 1510 which would have meant the two doors would have been quite tiny and looked off.

Ah that makes sense. I didn't even think about the door from the garage to the house! I will look to upgrade that for sure. Also another good point about the theatre door! I'll keep that in mind!
Looks great so far Imightbedave, our builder quoted us two options -- base model with all the major additions we knew we wanted compared to display spec with set upgraded inclusions to work out what was better costwise. We thought we had the vast majority of stuff included in our initial quote but we're finalising our pre-start options this week and have still ended up around $18k of extras at this stage so you're right about including as much as possible upfront!
I am an estimator for a Perth building company, that is rubbish about the Stanford doors, from memory we charge $35 to the client each, it's the cost of the door plus I think it's an extra $10 for painting. The siteworks can't be fixed if they are saying it is an allowance $7900 seems very low, how much are they charging you for stormwater and soakwells?
I can't believe they use a hollow core between the house and the garage, I would be interested if that is allowable, I might suss that one out myself.

It is allowable to have a non solid core door between the garage and house, this happened to us during construction!

Our SS offered to replace it with a solid core door, however we wanted the patterned door so for it replaced with the same. Our garage is fully enclosed and with all our other security features in our home, we weren't too stressed about it being solid.

Doozer1905
I am an estimator for a Perth building company, that is rubbish about the Stanford doors, from memory we charge $35 to the client each, it's the cost of the door plus I think it's an extra $10 for painting. The siteworks can't be fixed if they are saying it is an allowance $7900 seems very low, how much are they charging you for stormwater and soakwells?
I can't believe they use a hollow core between the house and the garage, I would be interested if that is allowable, I might suss that one out myself.

Yeah I knew it didn't sound right. But both sales consultant and prestart consultant confirmed the price so.. I just said thanks but no thanks!

Sandy soil so no soakwells required (apparently) - allowance is for spoon drains only. I'm still going to install soakwells myself post construction - was happy to do that to save costs as my budget was pretty tight already.

Celebration are offering fixed siteworks I think, although I'm not sure if it's only for areas they have built a lot of houses in. They told us they would put fixed siteworks in our quote too as they know the area well and wouldn't expect any additional costs. Although I'm pretty sure they put soakwells as an extra cost outside of that allowance which brought their estimate in line with most other builders we have been quoting. I'd have to double check the quote though.

Deciding if it's worth doing the internal paint ourselves or not... Also been told we can save money getting aircon done after the build is completed so weighing up that...
SilentBoB
Celebration are offering fixed siteworks I think, although I'm not sure if it's only for areas they have built a lot of houses in. They told us they would put fixed siteworks in our quote too as they know the area well and wouldn't expect any additional costs. Although I'm pretty sure they put soakwells as an extra cost outside of that allowance which brought their estimate in line with most other builders we have been quoting. I'd have to double check the quote though.

Deciding if it's worth doing the internal paint ourselves or not... Also been told we can save money getting aircon done after the build is completed so weighing up that...

Yeah it wouldn't be a blanket arrangement with the siteworks, however Brightwood is an ABN exclusive estate so they have a high level of communication with the developer and therefore a good understanding of the site conditions without any hidden surprises.

If I was in river gums or somewhere more swampy like that, I was told site works would be fixed but the allowance would be much higher.

I would have done the painting internally myself to save money - if you have a few friends who are capable then I think it's definitely worth doing. Labour is the big cost with painting so if it only costs you a couple of cartons and a BBQ you're laughing.

I'll be doing aircon post construction too. Have one quote and sent off for others yesterday. Such a big additional expense but worth it come summer!

mrsdoe
Looks great so far Imightbedave, our builder quoted us two options -- base model with all the major additions we knew we wanted compared to display spec with set upgraded inclusions to work out what was better costwise. We thought we had the vast majority of stuff included in our initial quote but we're finalising our pre-start options this week and have still ended up around $18k of extras at this stage so you're right about including as much as possible upfront!

Don't the extra's add up!?

I think if it's in your budget then include as much as you can. You'll be happier with the home for longer and less work post construction. I think if you were looking at your house with any regret after you move in it would really dampen the experience!
Selections!

Ok so thought it was time I added my colours and other selections. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of them combined (besides the shower) so it will require a little imagination! Here are the 'main' selections:

Bricks - Austral Albany Cream

Frames - Charcoal Lustre

Fascia - Colorbond Woodland Grey

Downpipes - Colorbond Classic Cream
Roof, gutters and and garage door - Colorbond Surfmist

External render - Solver Dewkist

External contrast render - Solver Seal Grey

Internal Walls - Solver Kitty Grey

When I get organised I will try to combine them all into one image so it's easier to see how they blend!
Here's my ******* Microsoft paint combination of colours

Internal colours.

Those with a keen eye will notice I've been VERY original and gone the same cupboards as the Celebrations selection room

Nice choices.

I'm staying out of the colour selection when we get to that point. The girlfriend has final say on it all
Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

9/04/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

Looks like they are still building.....

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum