Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR Sekisui House - St George

Page 25 of 82
clintdb
Shouldn't be a problem - they'll just cut a bit out of the bottom plate (the timber on the slab) if they need to. It won't ruin the structural integrity of the frame.

Thanks Clint, Just hope that they will link pipes nicely afterwards and no leakage later.

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81624
clintdb
shazaw
This timber have a very long crack.
I think it should be replaced.

It does depend on what else is in the area and how much load that particular member is picking up (that portion of the house might be well over-designed).
But that piece of timber is not doing much at all - the crack is almost all the way through to the other side, so assuming it's needed even a little bit, it should come out.

BTW, with your outdoor area - you'll really have to keep an eye on that - it's obviously not in their system properly. Make sure any electrical, water, gas points are put in as those services go through the rest of the house.

This is from the wall between hall way and Guest bed room. middle section of the wall behind the wardrobe of guestroom.
So there are many other timbers on either sides. I don't like it all, it should come out.

Had a little chit chat with carpenters and they said that timber with large long crack will be replace as it will not pass private inspector.
The frames for upper floor and frames for out door living will be deliver next Wednesday. They will have to finish the ground floor by Monday.

Great to see the framing started. Yay!!
Carpenters were at the site this morning.
But they didn't do much. They did moved most of sub floor timbers to the back of the house to make room for delivery on Wednesday. Have to wait and see if they come back tomorrow.

More action on site today. Steel beams are in place.

Tiny crane pass between hall way walls to the back part of the house to lift steel beams for dinning and lounge room.

How cool is that little robot looking thing. No rain in st George area today? It's been absolutely non-stop at west pennant hills today
By the time I got to the site they have already finished placing beams for the back part of the house.

No rain until after 1:30 pm. It wasn't rain....just bucket down on us!!. Run two meters to the car and I was totally soaked.

We have electrical appointment next week Tuesday, I'm totally in dilemma about what I should do for Island bench and dinning table lights.
So far I do have three light points on the ceiling above the Island bench and three light point above dinning table. If I have pendants over dinning table.... I don't think I should have pendants over the Island bench. In my opinions having pendant lights for both will be over kill.

Option 1. Three down/LED lights for Island bench .... Three pendant lights for dinning table

Option 2. Three pendant lights for island bench.... One pendant for dinning table

Option 3. Long track lights for island bench ..... Three pendant lights for dinning table
( will it be out dated to have track lights or totally over kill )

Option 4. ?????

How difficult will it be if I wants to put LED lights after handover... for island bench?

Not sure if you like this style but We're going to do this over island...

http://www.bluelab.com.au/wp-content/up ... 65_Red.pdf
Or
http://www.bluelab.com.au/wp-content/up ... ed_Red.pdf

No pendants over dining so we have flexibility to adjust dining table position
I think for a two story you need to have the holes at very least.

I think pendants for both should be ok? We have something similar with our lights... So I could be biased!

Uchiha
Not sure if you like this style but We're going to do this over island...

http://www.bluelab.com.au/wp-content/up ... 65_Red.pdf
Or
http://www.bluelab.com.au/wp-content/up ... ed_Red.pdf

No pendants over dining so we have flexibility to adjust dining table position

Nice! We have friends who has something similar. Looks nice and neat!

Uchiha, that light is gorgeous.

if you wanted to do this or similar, its only 1 light point.

you can upload your original electrical plan - the community can help you with yours options 1,2,3,4...

are you intending to have downlights as well as the pendants?
My personal view is that too many pendants can make an area look a bit "foresty", especially if you have the dining right next to the island.

We went with pendants over the island, but just the downlights throughout the rest of the dining/lounge. This way the pendants make a statement (even though ours are relatively subtle in the scheme of things).
Also, it's probably more paranoia than reality, but if you don't get to dusting the pendants often enough, at least you aren't getting dust over your food.

Again, just my view - and I have been known to be a bit different from most people on these sorts of things
Clint, you and I think alike. The house is already a big place to do lots cleaning... too many pendants means extra dusting added to already big list of cleaning jobs.

My original plan was to have three pendants for island bench and three for dinning table.

Just thinking too many pendant lights may be over kill as island bench and dinning table are not far from each area.
But I also wants something distinct looking with less dusting to do.

During contract stage we had put in two extra junction boxes next to the one light they have provided for both island bench and above dinning table. If we are to go ahead with down lights or LED lights which will cost more.

Island bench and dinning room( living area is where we will have dinning table)
Uchiha

you can upload your original electrical plan - the community can help you with yours options 1,2,3,4...

Not both, either down lights or pendants on each area.
shazaw
Uchiha

Not both, either down lights or pendants on each area.

We ended up with one downlight with the 3 pendants over our peninsula -- mainly because there was a batten not quite where we wanted the pendant so had a hole to cover up. Also depending on the pendants.. it may be more form / function and in that case doesn't actually shine light where we needed/wanted it. With our dining room lights, we have those silly vintage lights which casts barely any light for a lot of power consumption and we're planning to put a number of downlights (directed beam) pointing to the dining table and side table.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

21/09/2023
KDR - Home Equity Loan vs Construction Loan

Home Finance

The biggest challenge will be if you take out a loan and then run out of money - you'll have an incomplete security and lenders do not like this so you can get stuck.…

21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum