Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Is anyone building at Mawson Green, Meadows SA?

Page 10 of 34
We've put together a design with Rendition homes
Hi Chuckles,

Waiting on the land is frustrating isnt it.

We did our colour selections and all that today, hoping council approval happens quickly!
How did you go Jakki?!

Oh it was so hard. We ended up completely different to what we were planning to have!

Charcoal bathroom and laundry floor, light grey ensuite, all wall tiles are white, so 200x300 (ensuite), main bath is 300x400 - all horizontal

3 phase power (eye roll)

Upgraded bath, toilets, 1 basin, mixers to laundry, main bath (basin, shower ad bath-purely so the kids have no excuse for not turning them off properly!)

White subway tiles in bricklay in kitchen
A few quad power points and heaps of doubles, extra lights ( 2 above island bench, 2 above each vanity and 1 above kitchen sink) plus 5 extra outside lights

We went with Austral bricks in nougat, the weatherboard section is shale grey, roof, gutters and faschia are monument, white windows, surfmist garage door in 'ranch'

I also got 1 pull out laundry hamper in the laundry
Sounds nice! So funny that you chose different stuff - we did the same as well! Ou roof is monument too - snap!

Do you think you stayed in budget? We STILL haven't 100% confirmed ours as we keep throwing in ideas and changing little things
Hopefully the guy isn't getting too sick of us, I haven't heard from him in a while!

Oh haha too funny! It was mainly because they charge a fortune for bricklaying tiles so I had to completely change my tile choices haha!
oh monument is lovely! we also did the gutters and fascia that too.

we spent 7k, so not what i wanted to spend so I guess it really depends on the bank now! eek!

haha i am not sold on the ensuite floor tiles so i may change that. they said exact pricing will take a week.

unfortunately it looks like they will dig a min 5cm into the rock so we might not get credited any of the 5k and they said the soil removal will probably be less than the 4400-im hoping it is and i also hope the rock isnt that bad and we get some of that 5k back-makes the upgrades a bit better for us

what did you end up picking inside? ill upload pics to photo bucket later
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/brekkibel/library/
I've started a thread Jakki, will add more colours etc soon!

viewtopic.php?t=77368
Awesome! Will check it out!
Hi Vogue,

I just saw your post on the IGA and apparently, one of the families from my work lives in Meadows & I asked the Mini Mart when I was there a few months ago & apparently they're isn't going to be one
I hope there is eventually because it's a long drive to a supermarket!!

We had some reassuring news on a second valuation, the land was valued the same thankfully!!! That was very concerning initially!!!

We went up & watched the Meadows Footy today, beautiful weather & great afternoon out! Can't wait to get up there!

Has anyone heard any more after council approval whether they have to retain BEFORE you start building???

Good news treechange! so the first valuation was wrong then? You must be happy!

We havent yet had approval but our engineers report says to retain after blocks either side have been built on
Yeah we were!!!

See we had council approval & it wasn't til weeks later they sent us a letter saying retain before... But then when we've had it quoted everyone's said wait until the other blocks cut out so we don't waste $$

Does anyone know why Raine & Horne have taken over selling some of the land? The Saxon Hyde estate doesn't seem to have taken off either...

I'm not sure perhaps call the council? I spoke to them on Friday about a letter we received and they were very helpful.
Bit silly having to retain before as depending how the next block is cut there may not be a need for a wall at all in some parts! They aren't cheap so who wants to put one in if it's not needed?!

I'm not sure but I had noticed that. There is a private sale in there too. I thought maybe the Raine and horn ones were ones that had previously been bought and now they wanted to sell them?!
Hmm, I'm not sure about the retaining... we haven't been told (yet!) that we need to do anything pre-build but yeah, like Jakki said it seems a bit silly as we don't know what the neighbouring site cuts will turn out like....

Good news about your valuation though treechange, that must have been a bit of a worry!

I have no idea about Saxon Hyde/Raine and Horne, maybe sales have just slowed down a bit? Bit of a bummer if there won't be a supermarket eventually. I only shop once a week now anyway though so shouldn't be too hard to just go to mount barker I guess! Would love a child care centre though!
Did you end up changing some of your selections Jakki? It must be hard not being able to bounce ideas around with your hubby all the time, although sometimes I think it might be easier if mine didn't have a say! 😂
Our builder is saying just wait but I don't want to get on the wrong side of council...

Yeah it's odd, I think R & H are only selling stage 1 blocks?

Surely they'll put a supermarket there eventually. There will be the demand for it.

One of the managers in my head office used to work at Meadows kindy & said it & the school is brilliant... The nearest childcare would be Mt Barker maybe??? Or hahndorf?

Thats great to hear about the kindy and school! We'll probably just stick with our current childcare as its on my way to work anyway. Hopefully the boy can get to know some kiddies his age so he already has some friends when he starts kindy down there

Its so hard to know what to do when the builder is telling you one thing and the council is telling you another!
How old is your son Mahalia? My son is 2 & comes to work with me, I'm the director of Goodstart Blackwood.

We have considered sending him to school in hahndorf but want him to have friends in the immediate community so it's a hard one

Oh excellent! Our son is 2 (3 in September) so they are very close in age! Jakki also has a 2 yo girl

That's great you can take him to work! We go to Aberfoyle Community CC Centre and I work at Brighton... So it will still be on the way on my work days. How far is it from Meadows to Blackwood?

Is there a reason why you wouldn't send him to Meadows Primary School? We'll have to have lots of play dates when we all settle in!

Oh great! There wil be a few kids the same age then
the whole reason we wanted to move was so we could raise our family in a community where the kids can grow up playing in the streets & fresh air like we did

I think it's about half hour drive so not too bad.

The only thing I think about is because it's a smaller school, I want to make sure he gets a good education. I think some of the classes have up to 3 age groups in them...

Definitely do play dates

We are lot 17 Harewood Gr the second block on the left of the sales centre & I've seen a couple of families in the street so I think it'll be a great little community

Related
9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

21/10/2023
anyone build on zero lot line more than 11 meters? Urgent.

Building A New House

I am building in claymore NSW and this is shown in the building envelope plan. …

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum