Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Re: Building in Aveley - Living, one year on...

Page 52 of 55
Cheers all, will definitely work on getting some lights under the stairs. I have been working out how to do it since I do not have power to any point in that area.

Have considered using solar power as an option and am just working out the specifics.

Came back after dinner tonight and Mrs Hootie took this photo. Definitely need some light under those steps to enhance their "floatiness" at night

Your house would have to be the most amazing on the street

The floating steps look amazing Hootie! Would be even more amazing once you put the lighting as well. Can't wait to see it!

Our building journey
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77582
Loving the steps Hootie. Definitely agree that lighting would be a good thing!
Wow Hootie that looks spectacular!
Natalie92
Your house would have to be the most amazing on the street

Ourmansion
The floating steps look amazing Hootie! Would be even more amazing once you put the lighting as well. Can't wait to see it!

nikkis2000
Loving the steps Hootie. Definitely agree that lighting would be a good thing!

kellie_87
Wow Hootie that looks spectacular!

Thanks everyone, lights for the steps are certainly on my list now!

Hopefully by the end of the week, we will have more photos to show, with the plants all in and landscaping complete. Fingers crossed!

6 month Maintenance Period Starts

Today we received a letter to inform us that we have started the Defects Liability/Maintenance Period (6 months).

We have a short list of items and have been crossing off those items which I have been able to fix. However the showstopper was discovered today when we were putting items into the cabinet below the sink in the Ensuite....one of the cabinets was lined with mould!

Not sure how this could have happened as we have only been in for about a month.

Previously there were leaks in the taps which collected on the shelves, but we promptly dried the shelves asap...

We reckon that that's a lot of mould just for one month after moving in?

Has anyone experienced this with their build after moving in? In our old house, we hardly had mould in the cabinets at all!

So an email has been sent to the maintenance department and we hope to have a reply and resolution soon....
Hootie - I know it's been said but just LOVE those steps and your front elevation!
+Tbrown2012
Hootie - I know it's been said but just LOVE those steps and your front elevation!

Thanks +Tbrown2012! We are very pleased that it has come together so well.
Wow Hootie re the mould that is just not right
AKB
Wow Hootie re the mould that is just not right

Our thoughts exactly AKB!
It just baffles us...not what we'd expect in a new build....
Hootie that doesn't look right at all - I wonder if there may be a leak?
Gosh what a terrible problem to come across this soon, seems very odd to have mould and especially that amount. Hope you can get to the bottom of it!
Hi Hootie - wow just wow! Sorry I have not been around but I can say I just caught up on about 8 pages of one brilliantly beautiful home! You and your wife should be so exceptionally proud Hootie! It's come together lovely and the selections and features work so well! I cannot tell you how happy I was go see that today, it's been amazing watching your build! I already want to build again hahaha!

MalSannie
Hootie that doesn't look right at all - I wonder if there may be a leak?

jelbell55
Gosh what a terrible problem to come across this soon, seems very odd to have mould and especially that amount. Hope you can get to the bottom of it!

Hey all, just a quick updated....I managed to speak with the lady coordinating the maintenance today and she is as surprised about the mould as us...I'm waiting for her to check with the office and get back to me on how they intend to resolved the issue. Until then we have to sit tight but fingers crossed for a quick resolution...

JustinInPerth
Hi Hootie - wow just wow! Sorry I have not been around but I can say I just caught up on about 8 pages of one brilliantly beautiful home! You and your wife should be so exceptionally proud Hootie! It's come together lovely and the selections and features work so well! I cannot tell you how happy I was go see that today, it's been amazing watching your build! I already want to build again hahaha!

Thanks Justin! I read the blog that featured your home, so very interesting! I must say that your home is definitely decorated by an artist
It looks awesome!

It's been an amazing build for us...learnt so much...and we are thankful it's gone relatively smoothly. We are almost settled in the house now after being in for a month. Just waiting on landscaping to be complete, then we can sit back and crack open a bubbly....

Today's update - We had the rectic done!

Tomorrow hopefully we have some garden prep done, which should then have the 2 levels of the front garden defined.

Planting at this stage is scheduled on Friday, so fingers crossed!

[/quote]
I still can't get over those steps they are so amazing! Can't wait to see the garden

Natalie92
I still can't get over those steps they are so amazing! Can't wait to see the garden

Thanks Natalie92! We can't wait to see the garden too

Hopefully the corten steel retainer is put in tomorrow then the shape of the garden will be better defined...
HI Hootie I hope they resolve the mould issue asap........not good!
I can"t believe you have been in for a month now wow time does fly along

Looking forward to seeing the finished front it is going to look amazing
Those floating steps look incredible. That mould issue is a worry, hope they sort it out quickly!
Petad
HI Hootie I hope they resolve the mould issue asap........not good!
I can"t believe you have been in for a month now wow time does fly along

Looking forward to seeing the finished front it is going to look amazing

belzey
Those floating steps look incredible. That mould issue is a worry, hope they sort it out quickly!

Thanks Petad and belzey, we had a positive update today in that the builder is going to investigate the mould issue further to here's one step closer to a resolution. We'll get there!

Today we had the plantings done! Even the dragon tree is in, although it has "lost" some height from being in the ground instead of the pot...maybe we should have gotten a taller dragon tree lol...

The landscaping should be finished tomorrow. The guys got through a lot today, laying the rectic, weed matting, then planting.

Here's some of what's in our garden:

Couple of blue chalks...love this plant, can't wait for them to grow more:

Couple of cousin it plants:

And...wait a minute...what's this???:

(Half completed) Garden side view:

(Half completed) Garden side view 2:

Bamboo in side garden...I know it looks a bit sparse...we were supposed to get 16 of these, but there were only 10 planted today, so unless more are coming tomorrow, we might have to speak with the landscape supervisor on the shortage:

This is called CIM gravel, its what's going to go into the fire pit as well as the succulent section in the front garden:

Can't wait to see the finished garden tomorrow!
Wow! Just wow hoot! I'm going to pm you right now! Haha

IssyandOzzy
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

24/09/2023
Affordable Living Homes want more $$

Building A New House

I would be wary. Is you site demilished but nothing else done? Sounds like liquidity problems to me. Our builder did the same. Got hundreds of thousands of dollars of…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum