Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bricks...

Page 2 of 2
We are building with WA C builders. We keep checking out the handmades though, so I'm tempted to find out how much extra they'll cost. They're about $80 more per 1000 bricks, but I'm not sure how many bricks they'd need to build the house!
Hi Monkeyupatree,
We have seen a few houses in our area with the burnished red and they look really nice, a lovely rich colour. Our cream mortar is a bit more yellow than I wanted too but with it all finished it actually looks pretty good. It's always hard when its not quite what you had in mind but with the roof, window and garage door colours, it will come together. What sort of roof are you having? tiles or colourbond?
Yes some of the handmades are lovely.
I like the haigh from the governors range.Some are very uneven though. For those really uneven ones I noticed though you a have to be sure and get a raked type finish on your mortar unless you want the mortar to look very thick where the bricks are uneven. Some people like this effect but I wasn't keen. Matrix pm me your contact person. We might have the same one.
Matrix
Who are you building with, monkey?

Hi matrix, we are building with Ultimate homes (part of Peter Stannard group). It is part of the plus series homes, so we dont have much choice in a lot of things. I guess as a plus it does mean that we won't blow our budget with upgrades. We got a preliminary quote that was just under the base cost, as we took out the paving and what we added was less than the refund on paving. This will change with electricals and a couple of things I want added. Wont be much more than the base price though.
kirribilli
Hi Monkeyupatree,
We have seen a few houses in our area with the burnished red and they look really nice, a lovely rich colour. Our cream mortar is a bit more yellow than I wanted too but with it all finished it actually looks pretty good. It's always hard when its not quite what you had in mind but with the roof, window and garage door colours, it will come together. What sort of roof are you having? tiles or colourbond?

Hi kirribilli, we are going for the clay tile roof. Its from bristile, style is vienna and colour graphite. We only got a choice of 4 colours and 2 different styles, for the tiles. The colour and style was one of my top choices when I first started looking, so pleased that it was on their list when we got the prestart booklet. We went and grabbed sample tile from home base and now not sure what colour it really is
In some light it looks like it is a dark grey almost black, then in other light it is a deep chocolate colour. Trying to figure out what coluor guttering we will put with it. I may change to black colourbond if I cant find a colour I like.

kexkez the wyvern brick was the only brick, out of both midland and austral, that I really liked.
Related
27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

22/01/2024
Regarding Burbank Bricks

General Discussion

Hi All, Recently we have signed a contract with Burbank and we are not aware that they have just DORSET, SURREY, HAMPSHIRE, KENT, PILBARA and REDGUM bricks from PGH are…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum