Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Plantation shutters - if you could afford it, would you?

Page 2 of 5
I ordered mine 3 months ago and they get installed tomorrow. Total cost was approx $5000, I have since found them about $1000 cheaper, I think that is why I am hesitant about them tommorrow, I definetly still want them for my bedroom, but not sure about the other 4 I ordered for my back room, I have 5 windows and one door. The door will not be shuttered nor a high window, so unsure whether this room will look unfinished, I guess I will find out tomorrow. Installation cost me $720, I think that is a rip off.
Yes I like the look of them

I dont know how expensive they are compared to the timber slat blinds I have at the moment.
I would most prob put them in a couple of windows in my next place.
I think they would be easier to clean than the timber blinds, as they move around when your trying to dust them, at least the shutters are fixed.
May go for the white rather than the wenge colour ( even though my furniture is wenge) as I dont think white will show up the dust as much.
If someone can let me know if they do it will be much appreciated.
My readymades for a 600w x 1800d were about $100 each from memory for redimades. Has anyone got any idea what the price would be for the same size in shutters?
I adore them, and will be having them in my house on at least 13 windows and possibly a large bi fold across the back stacker door. They will all be white, which will tie in perfectly with my house and decor. I won't be getting wooden ones, but vinyl ones (cheaper) and you'd never know they weren't wood. I don't have a problem with cleaning them with the dyson soft dusting brush attachment...easier than taking down sheer curtains and washing them every now and then!

I'll have the traditional ones that have 2 sections to each shutter, and the opening rod in the middle. I honestly think in my house they will not date quickly, as I have a traditional type house, not modern, and will suit my facade perfectly. Despite them being 'in' at the moment, they are a classic window covering and in the right house look fabulous!!

Much easier to operate than the redi shades in the morning!

Christmas crept up on me this year, so they'll have to wait until January!
Stormy

Oh, I don't miss that fold-and-peg routine at ALL. They were a great temporary solution, but half of them used to stay closed because I just couldn't be bothered....

I haven't seen vinyl shutters, Stormy...who sells them?
Hi gettingthere

Plantation shutters will always be in fashion and are classic. I highely recommend them. We have about 50% of our windows on plantation shutters, which I actually painted & stained myself. The quality of the asutralian shutters is superb, nice tight control rod and swivel components, with no slackness.

Forget about the plantation shutters made in China, they use Bass wood. Not the best quality, if you want australian made, best quality shutters and save over 50% on most quotes, try http://www.portphillip.com.au

The shutters are made out of paulina timber grown in queensland.

You do your own measurements, the shutters are made within 2 weeks of ordering. All the timber is cut to size, holes drilled, very sturdy control rods, and shutter hinges. You save by doing the sanding, painting or staining yourself. They are easy to assemble and install. The website is great and even show you how to videos.

Price lists are also available on the site.

I have finished painting all of mine shutters, and was impressed on how they came out. Even a professional window covering guy who came to install our romans in some of our rooms were very impressed.

You can check out my blog: http://wallace-cremorne41.blogspot.com

Good luck

Andy
We love plantation shutters. It suits us as our kids are asthmatic and this will be easier to clean over drapes/venetians. This was our great splurge for the house and got them measured a month ago and they will be ready in two weeks time. We got plantation shutters for 17 windows and 3 voids. Paid a great price of $250 per sq metre....and we had different closures (control bar in the middle, clearview - closure on the side, bifold opening, fixed) We used their colour matching service to get them done in two timber colours....one colour for the front facade and another colour for the voids and side windows. All up it was $10K....can't wait to see them installed. Bring on handover!
We have plantations in all the front bedroom windows, we face east and it was the best way to regulate the light. I didn't want a blind I had to have totally up or down and venetians were not an option
I find the cleaning is so easy and it gives the rooms a bit of a holiday feel. I had them in my last house as well so really don't think they are a trend, they have been happening for years. If you like them...you like them, if you don't....you don't, it's the same with everything
SuH
We have plantations in all the front bedroom windows, we face east and it was the best way to regulate the light. I didn't want a blind I had to have totally up or down and venetians were not an option
I find the cleaning is so easy and it gives the rooms a bit of a holiday feel. I had them in my last house as well so really don't think they are a trend, they have been happening for years. If you like them...you like them, if you don't....you don't, it's the same with everything

Same here - we have an East facing facade. My shutters are multi adjustable ie: they don't have a connecting rod down the back of them instead they have an invisible connector (clear perspex) at either end of the shutter blades. Each panel can be adjusted individually, which for us is just perfect.
kek
Stormy

Oh, I don't miss that fold-and-peg routine at ALL. They were a great temporary solution, but half of them used to stay closed because I just couldn't be bothered....

I haven't seen vinyl shutters, Stormy...who sells them?

Sory Kek, I meant PVC, not vinyl! Mum and Dad have 4 of them and you would think they are wood. They look fabulous and were cheaper than wood. I can't remember off the top of my head where they got them from, but I think it was around the Cheltenham or Moorabbin area, custom made.

Most of my redi shades stay exactly where they are! Bathroom and bedroom ones down all the time and dining, lounge and family up all the time (no one can see in!) I just don't have the time unless I want to let in fresh air! Lazy, huh?
Zerosignal
To help a hopeless male here what kind of costs are they going to be verses say:

- Roller Blinds
- Roman Blinds

I like shutters and would probably put them in select spots not everywhere.

You are looking at roughly 3-4 times more per window for PS over normal RB... depending on the timber used on the PS / material on RB.
YES YES YES I love plantations and we have been saving since we started building so that we can have them. We are going through a company portphillip which a few people here have used and they are literally half the cost as you sand, stain and install them yourself. My friend has used them and it is so easy to do! Can't wait!
Probably won't get them all at once will be a progressive thing but ultimately 80% of my house will have them!
I'm going to go against the grain and say I personally don't like them...
- well not for my house anyway...
In the right home they can look quite nice (from the ones I have seen in display homes), but given our house is tending towards an industrial type feel I do not see Plantation Shutters working, and certainly don't feel disappointed in any respect...

Different strokes for different folks - keeps things interesting!
We thought about getting them, they would really suit our house. When I got a sample held up though, it was a no go. Our window are tinted, and you lost the effect of the shutters. Kind of glad though, saved us a fortune!!
gettingThere - we are definately going to have some in the front windows.

Check out this place in Adelaide
http://www.woodblinds.com.au/shutters.shtml

They quoted to fit and install cheaper then i could buy them from the Port Philip shutters.

The showroom is all plantation shutters! it is great to see all the different ways that you can use them, even magnetic ones that you can pull off! (for small windows)

We are hopefully going to have plantation shutters in the cutouts that we are having leading to the home theatre room, and have plantation shutter doors into that room also.

Also I hate the thought of the kids potentially choking on cords from venetian or holland blinds so won't be going anywhere near them.
netadelle
gettingThere - we are definately going to have some in the front windows.

Check out this place in Adelaide
http://www.woodblinds.com.au/shutters.shtml

They quoted to fit and install cheaper then i could buy them from the Port Philip shutters.

The showroom is all plantation shutters! it is great to see all the different ways that you can use them, even magnetic ones that you can pull off! (for small windows)

We are hopefully going to have plantation shutters in the cutouts that we are having leading to the home theatre room, and have plantation shutter doors into that room also.

Also I hate the thought of the kids potentially choking on cords from venetian or holland blinds so won't be going anywhere near them.

I am in Adelaide, the woodblind company only offers a 1 year warranty. i got mine from stan bond, $385m2 plus $90 a panel install (3 year warranty), these are for the poplar wood. internet searches are 50/50 regarding basswood vs poplar, i love mine, and just ordered two more.
I'd love to have plantation shutters
Unfortunately they were (and are!!!!) way out of my price range!

Aaahhh well. I'm happy with what i've got
Personally I don't think the wooden ones are nice. They seem to look quite cheap. Just personal opinion...

We just got painted basswood in our place, 3 bedrooms. Approximately $2400 installed. They are absolutely sensational. I wouldn't recommend painting them yourself to save money. They are sprayed in the factory and are completely smooth. You can't see any brush marks.

We got them so they all open out, with the rod in the middle split. That way we can shut the bottom row and leave the top open and have privacy from the neighbours. Amazing stuff. And they are incredible for insulation. We went with Cost Less Decor Blinds in Essendon.
Im considering them for ensuite & bathroom in my new house. Other than that i dont think they would suit my house
LeanneR
Im considering them for ensuite & bathroom in my new house. Other than that i dont think they would suit my house

What type of house is it/ They do suit the older traditional homes (ours is weatherboard 1955), but they can still look amazing in modern new homes!
I'll be getting them throughout, love the look and cant see how they would ever date. I first baulked at the cost though until I discovered this mob: http://www.shutterkits.com.au/
less than 1/2 the normal cost as they are supplied to you in kit form which you assemble yourself. Pretty simple DIY job which will save $1000's
Related
22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum