Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Structural Plans information please

Page 1 of 1
I am having extensive problems with my home due to settlement/slab heave. I have been going over the structural plans and found that the drawings on Sheet 2 stated 15mp concrete filled 450 bored piers and on Sheet 3 with specific design it stated 15mp concrete filled 350 bored piers. Just wondering if I am missing something due to my lack of knowledge of house engineering and structural designs?

Sheet 3

Sheet 2

You have found an error.

Whether it is relevant would depend on the original calculations, and what was constructed.

Generally the groundworkers who construct the pier would take the dimensions for the columns off the plan
Hi Qwerty28
Welcome to the forum, more info required
The engineering Drawings/Details should be accompanied by engineering Notes..do you have them
Was the depth of the piers inspected by the Builders engineer or preferably your own engineer?
Did they record the depths, dimensions and take photos?
Did they actually go/bore into the required natural ground bearing capacity that is required etc?
Unfortunately these are questions you can't answer after the concrete has been poured
In hindsight you could have also checked these things yourself with the right tools, equipment and bluetoothed the information to the engineers
bashworth
You have found an error.

Whether it is relevant would depend on the original calculations, and what was constructed.

Generally the groundworkers who construct the pier would take the dimensions for the columns off the plan

Thanks bashworth, thought it was an error but unsure what builder would then use, Plan or detail.

StructuralBIMGuy
Hi Qwerty28
Welcome to the forum, more info required
The engineering Drawings/Details should be accompanied by engineering Notes..do you have them
Was the depth of the piers inspected by the Builders engineer or preferably your own engineer?
Did they record the depths, dimensions and take photos?
Did they actually go/bore into the required natural ground bearing capacity that is required etc?
Unfortunately these are questions you can't answer after the concrete has been poured
In hindsight you could have also checked these things yourself with the right tools, equipment and bluetoothed the information to the engineers

Thank you. I have found this site very interesting and has given me faith that there are still some trustworthy people working in the construction/building industry and assisting others who are faced with problems and defects with their houses.

Yes I have Engineering notes but unfortunately purchased the house new, so was not privy to how the house was built or whether is was built according to Building Codes/AS etc. With the problems that are occurring, it certainly looks like shortcuts were taken especially when looking at site drainage during build and insufficient site drainage.

In hindsight, I would have been camping out the front of the build, armed with every piece of equipment I could to ensure that everything was documented and according to codes. "It is easier to be wise after the event"
Qwerty28
Yes I have Engineering notes but unfortunately purchased the house new, so was not privy to how the house was built or whether is was built according to Building Codes/AS etc. With the problems that are occurring, it certainly looks like shortcuts were taken especially when looking at site drainage during build and insufficient site drainage.

You will also require the stormwater certified engineering Plans from the Council
please chase it up
BTW the council also has a Duty of Care
Qwerty28
In hindsight, I would have been camping out the front of the build, armed with every piece of equipment I could to ensure that everything was documented and according to codes. "It is easier to be wise after the event"

OT,Even if you purchase a house already built you should look for the warning signs ie
1.Freshly painted and poorly repaired
2.Door Frames out of plumb
3.Large gaps in control joints
4 Landscaping, trees around the House
5. Take photos, measurements and ask questions etc
The best tool for that I've found is the
Bosch GLM150C Professional examples to follow

Then have it properly Structurally Engineer Inspected/Surveyed or DIY the images and data to the experts
I still think it's a good idea to monitor your house in the event of future class actions, a royal commission, insurance claims,etc
Forewarned is forearmed
15MPa seems pretty weak for piers
Usually 32MPa

For a build on classified "E" soil but should have been "P" then 32MPa should have been recommended? I'm in the process of trying to chase up the bore logs if the building surveyor will give them to me.
Related
20/10/2023
Contact information for fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

We are at the stage on our build in Kilcoy, Queensland where we need to get our fencing installed but we cant get any contact details for our neighbours to give them…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum