Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Waffle pod

Page 1 of 1
Waffle pod slabs

There does not seem to be any type of footing supporting the slab, is this normal? I didn’t think it was, my tape goes 1500mm under before hitting foam!
Lobby69
Waffle pod slabs

There does not seem to be any type of footing supporting the slab, is this normal? I didn’t think it was, my tape goes 1500mm under before hitting foam!

This is beam itself, waffle pod doesn't have any footings, it sits on ground itself.

But it really sucks that the soil has moved under your beam. If the water from this disconnected stormwater pipe was there, you have high odds of running into a slab heave or your slab can even crack.

Can you check your engineering drawings wether your waffle pod is sitting on piers?

It seems you would need a qualified building inspector to take a look at this one straight away.
It's not normal as the slab will have been laid directly on a base.

I can think of a few reasons why this has occurred so you need to get a professional in to check out the reasons and suggest an appropriate remedial treatment.

If the house is less than 10 years old the builders structural guarantee should apply.
alexp79
This is beam itself, waffle pod doesn't have any footings, it sits on ground itself.

But it really sucks that the soil has moved under your beam. If the water from this disconnected stormwater pipe was there, you have high odds of running into a slab heave or your slab can even crack.

Can you check your engineering drawings wether your waffle pod is sitting on piers?

It seems you would need a qualified building inspector to take a look at this one straight away.

Thanks for the reply Alex, I’ll check out a local building inspector,
Go to an engineer too.

Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum