Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Minimum height for garage opening.

Page 1 of 1
I'm building in Sydney and was told the minimum standard for a garage opening height is 2200mm clear of obstructions.
The Building code, as far as I can see, says that there must be a minimum 2100mm ceiling height in non-inhabital rooms such as a garage.
Would anyone be able to give me advice on this?
Thanks, Bruce

Well a large 4 wheel drive such as a land cruiser is around 2m high so it would be good if you could easily get such a vehicle in the garage.
2100mm is typical. Check out the specs on the B&D website for panel lift doors - headroom requirement is around 300mm, which makes sense given a standard floor height of 2400mm.

B&D sell a kit which reduces the headroom requirement to 180mm, which is a good idea if you have a tall 4WD or want to keep roof racks/cage/container on.
Thanks to all for your advice. I realise height is a good thing, however, I have another garage with more height. What I'm trying to find out is it mandatory for the minimum of 2.2mtrs for the opening as it may affect my design.

I had a look through the BCA and didn't find anything other than 2100mm in clause 3.8.2.2(d), as you've already found.

I'd suggest that you ask whoever is telling you 2200mm to back up their claim with the specific clause and standard they are referring to.

My neighbours built last year and their's is 2100mm.
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

3/04/2024
Front setback minimum requirement for battleaxe plot

General Discussion

Thanks Draftroom that definitely helps a heap. We are still at the very early stage of planning to see what kind of house would fit on our plot. While we are on a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum