Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Surveyors role

Page 1 of 1
What happens if Surveyor’s Recommendations r not followed by builder and continues the build. The Surveyor then just issues the certificate without checking in Melbourne
Call the VBA.

Did your builder choose your registered building surveyor? If yes, then possibly he will certify due to conflict of interest, smooth talking by your builder? Sorry to be cynical.

Has your surveyor told you he is being ignored?
Do you have a private building consultant? If not, get one that can talk to surveyor and builder in language they may listen to.
pEast So what is non Complaint? Drawings Details, Specifications, with reference to the NCC, Australian Standards, Engineered Alternate Solutions.More info required
please read this
Designer &DP-AD Stamp
This is how it should work
hth
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast So what is non Complaint? Drawings Details, Specifications, with reference to the NCC, Australian Standards, Engineered Alternate Solutions.More info required
please read this
Designer &DP-AD Stamp
This is how it should work
hth

StructuralBIMGuy - one issue was of steel overhang around 25mm and the fix was not done as per engineering
Another was frame overhang by more between 20mm and 38 mm along garage/entry wall running around 2 metre which surveyor missed.
Further there were around 5 issues which were picked up by my private inspector which surveyor did not pick up and builder referred it to their engineers who said it had to be done and gave clarifucations and amongst them were 2 items also raised by Surveyor. The b
The Surveyor gave frame approval one month before the engineers clarifications sought at behest of my private inspector.

Further this is under main door and hebel guys have not put hebel on it

I can easily get as much concrete out I think by my bare hands looking at it
pEast

Good you have pictures.

“Note: Legislation introduced on 1 September 2016 prevents the builder from appointing the private building surveyor. The appointment of the private building surveyor must be made by the owner or an agent of the owner other than the builder. “

Has your builder replied in writing?
If not, have you spoken with the building company director/registered builder listed on your contract, construction manager or someone senior?
Or
Have you or your building consultant sent a letter/email to the building surveyor and copied the builder in listing the most significant concerns that do not meet engineering plans, code and the standards etc requesting a response?
You may be aware that the RBS usually sends out an inspector to site for the inspections, so may not know your site well or at all.
My RBS did not act on my emails even though they assured me they would. Only when my building consultant put the key issues in an email to RBS, engineer and builder did RBS put a building notice on the builder.

Are you building with a builder who only builds with Hebel?
https://www.abcb.gov.au/ncc-online/How-it-works
When you asked what is RBS role-
Your RBS can agree to a performance solution or deemed to satisfy solution.... but I doubt they can agree to what the engineer did not agree with.
Gaudi
pEast

Good you have pictures.

“Note: Legislation introduced on 1 September 2016 prevents the builder from appointing the private building surveyor. The appointment of the private building surveyor must be made by the owner or an agent of the owner other than the builder. “

Has your builder replied in writing?
If not, have you spoken with the building company director/registered builder listed on your contract, construction manager or someone senior?
Or
Have you or your building consultant sent a letter/email to the building surveyor and copied the builder in listing the most significant concerns that do not meet engineering plans, code and the standards etc requesting a response?
You may be aware that the RBS usually sends out an inspector to site for the inspections, so may not know your site well or at all.
My RBS did not act on my emails even though they assured me they would. Only when my building consultant put the key issues in an email to RBS, engineer and builder did RBS put a building notice on the builder.

Are you building with a builder who only builds with Hebel?

My private inspector wrote to the Surveyor and they send 2 persons to investigate but when I asked for report the they refused saying they don’t have anything g new. Despite the fact the builder has given to me in writing that on their visit they cut plaster and hebel to fix the things.

My current concern is regarding the slab under main door - hebel was put in March but they left this as is - then again in July they put hebel back again at other places but left this as is.
Now with PCI only a few days away they will put underneath it and then blame me I think on one pretext or the other.
pEast
Thanks for the photos, but unfortunately it is after the event..if you get my gist
Do You have detailed photos of the Reinforcement Placement and inspection Slab report, did they check concrete Slump and Take a cone sample,etc,etc? More info Required
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast
Thanks for the photos, but unfortunately it is after the event..if you get my gist
Do You have detailed photos of the Reinforcement Placement and inspection Slab report, did they check concrete Slump and Take a cone sample,etc,etc? More info Required

StructuralBIMGuy - thanks for feedback - this slab is still as it is - still to have hebel put in - just a few days before PCI - I think my private inspector too hasn’t had a proper look at it
pEast
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast

I think my private inspector too hasn’t had a proper look at it

Yep, That's what I'm seeing from your photos poor concrete mix & placement , Inadequate Reinforcement cover, etc.
The following trades also see that & It's not a simple fix, best avoided by proper supervision
pEast
Now with PCI only a few days away they will put underneath it and then blame me I think on one pretext or the other.

Blame you!! Remind them you are not the builder.

You don’t seem satisfied with the responses you’ve had. Call the VBA or have your inspector call the surveyor and the builder to get a response for you. If the surveyor is happy the work meets code, they can say so in writing.
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast

Thanks StructuralBIMGuy - I used your wording of poor concrete mix and the builder then got the engineering for the slab under main door

But I don’t think they have followed it correctly because the ends at both sides has hebel put in therefore leaving cavity on the sides.

pEast
What happens if Surveyor’s Recommendations r not followed by builder and continues the build. The Surveyor then just issues the certificate without checking in Melbourne
Yep, that is why you will see countless people here recommend an independent building inspection service like Darbecca

sweetswisssteel
pEast
Yep, that is why you will see countless people here recommend an independent building inspection service like Darbecca

I too did independent building inspector but they missed it.
Darbecca, happily recommend

sweetswisssteel
Darbecca, happily recommend

My inspector was Kevin from NHI.

Darbecca is the company and the inspection varies from empoyee to employee. Similarly, the Surveyor also sends out inspectors and it comes down to how the inspector is. You can get a bad inspection from either of them. In case of private inspector the best scenario is he does it himself like Sam, Kevin etc - then the chances of money’s wirth r more
If you got the right consultant you wouldn't be asking questions here on the forum.
I can happily recommend Darbecca anyway.

pEast
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast

Thanks StructuralBIMGuy - I used your wording of poor concrete mix and the builder then got the engineering for the slab under main door

But I don’t think they have followed it correctly because the ends at both sides has hebel put in therefore leaving cavity on the sides.

No they didn't follow the engineering details correctly
Generally I would recommend ask for an extended warranty for such defects
But now at least you are covered should you have problems in the future
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
pEast
StructuralBIMGuy
@pEast

No they didn't follow the engineering details correctly
Generally I would recommend ask for an extended warranty for such defects
But now at least you are covered should you have problems in the future
Cheers
Chris

Thanks StructuralBIMGuy - your feedback is very much appreciated regarding this. Will post once my I show it to my inspector on PCI day.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum