Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Brick work around windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

In the process of building in Vic and wondering if anyone knows the standards to brick work around windows?

This looks incorrect to me, but builder says it’s in standards. I imagine they will fill but doesn’t seem the bricks are far enough back.

Thoughts?

Thanks Simon

simonsss
Hi,

In the process of building in Vic and wondering if anyone knows the standards to brick work around windows?

This looks incorrect to me, but builder says it’s in standards. I imagine they will fill but doesn’t seem the bricks are far enough back.

Thoughts?

Thanks Simon

No way, I would get an Independent inspection.

+1 for inspection so you get an independent opinion about standards.

Does your builder have a display home?
If they do go and take a look and take photos if they don’t have gaps that have been filled. Builders are meant to build your home to their display home standards.

I think there have been some previous posts about gaps around windows on this forum.

Also your aluminium frames look quite scratched, unless it’s the pics. They will need touching up.
We are the same with our house.

We have checked our builder's display homes and our is finished very different around the base of the windows where it meets the brick sills.

Looks like the bricky came back after finishing the walls and did the sills really quickly and poorly and possibly ran out of bricks and we can see chips, the cavity holes in the bricks and gaps where the bricks don't go under the window frame, which is causing the flap seal to waiver and not work correctly.

I'm even unsure where flashing was installed also.
Bricky made cavity to big or windows need to come out a little
Have the arcs been installed.
Is it a strip footing or a slab.
Could be frame is out of plumb not brickwork
Many a cause.dont need an inspector better to get a bricky
It’s unlikely, but the builder may have ordered the window reveal size to suit weatherboard and not brick veneer causing the lack of width

This is an awful workmanship.

"This is within standards" is never an excuse. As a builder, he is supposed to have his own standards for quality far exceeding aging industry standards (and, as mentioned above, you can refer them as "display home" standards). And if he is not agreeable, you can always introduce your own standards for paying the bills.
Howyagoin
It’s unlikely, but the builder may have ordered the window reveal size to suit weatherboard and not brick veneer causing the lack of width

I would say that would be the most likely reason.
irisheyes015
Gaudi
+1 for inspection so you get an independent opinion about standards.

Does your builder have a display home?
If they do go and take a look and take photos if they don’t have gaps that have been filled. Builders are meant to build your home to their display home standards.

I think there have been some previous posts about gaps around windows on this forum.

Also your aluminium frames look quite scratched, unless it’s the pics. They will need touching up.
Get the best inspection by dabecca this is not acceptable tried to post photos to show you mine but the program wont allow me to but mine are not like that

What is supposed to be installed in the corner?

Canterlevered?

PackieBonner

We have checked our builder's display homes and our is finished very different around the base of the windows where it meets the brick sills.

Looks like the bricky came back after finishing the walls and did the sills really quickly and poorly and possibly ran out of bricks and we can see chips, the cavity holes in the bricks and gaps where the bricks don't go under the window frame, which is causing the flap seal to waiver and not work correctly.

Same as mine get a good inspector in this is unacceptable and make them pay the bill
@irisheyes015
They have installed the incorrect windows, nor can that lintel be cantilevered
The timber Posts aren't acceptable, Refer to your engineering Lintel & Corner detail
for the correct support. Also make sure you get the correct engineering Repair Details.. It's a good thing you took a photo, before it gets covered with Trim hth
Good advice from Gaudi,
Display home standard overrides other standards because it is the law.
StructuralBIMGuy
@irisheyes015
They have installed the incorrect windows, nor can that lintel be cantilevered
The timber Posts aren't acceptable, Refer to your engineering Lintel & Corner detail
for the correct support. Also make sure you get the correct engineering Repair Details.. It's a good thing you took a photo, before it gets covered with Trim hth

Thankyou so much my house is a mess the brick work is as bad
PackieBonner

get a inspector up to check it all that's not good
kathysangel
PackieBonner

get a inspector up to check it all that's not good
also your house is suppose to be the same as the display home dont except this
Related
16/04/2024
Brick work cracks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

could be the footing or being hard up against the other wall with no expansion joint or both. You could try again with brick mesh and use some sticky back foam against the…

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum