Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Need help with the building standard

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if i can get some advises here. I just recently settled a new duplex house. Found few issues that are concerning me

1. I found cable wires just above the opening roof ceiling door. Is there any requirement to have those cables protected in the ceiling (like PVC as insulation to prevent cable damage, electric shock).
2. I have issues with the air condition turned on and water leaking through the rain gutter twice. It was also impacted the platform next to rain gutter. It has some water damage mark. They only willing to paint the platform and not to replace.
3.Is there any rules about not painting the under stair. At the moment, they gives us a storage under the stair. Those steps were not painted. Thought all new house will be all painted.
4. I was wondering most off the plan has 5% - 8% difference from their proposed plan. How do we know those boundaries. Eg. they mentioned they include walking wardrobe in their inclusion plan, 3 water tabs. But, the floor plan does not have walking wardrobe. The water was only 2.
5. I also can't find any BCA reference about entry stair not having the pole. They only gave us the hand rail from the middle and not from the ground floor.
6. Who should be best to address the issue ? Fair Trading or raising complaints to QC through council ? I still have 60 days period.

Thank you so much.
Ask the builders electrician or get a private building inspector in to ask questions to.
4,5,1 and watermark. Ive found some BCA references online on this but if an inspector will interpret these and know these and how to word these if they are defects.
The building surveyor who signed off your house might also be able to clarify about the stair rails.

Does your builder have display homes re: under stair painting. I used photos of display homes to get floorboards in part of my cupboard and also paint on the plastered wall. I didn’t care about painting underneath steps. Some display homes had this, but wasn’t something I cared about.

im guessing you’re still running your air con to check it’s ok even though it my be getting colder and not be necessary in your part of Australia.
Check it again and again

Best of luck
Related
12/02/2024
Resilient mounts with standard 13mm plasterboard

Building A New House

What we have done in a few theatres ( including my own) is run 2 layers of 13mm gyprock, but sounds insulation especially for the bass is really tricky as a lot of that…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum