Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Very noisy steel frame house

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I was wondering how much noise is normal for a steel framed home?

I am constantly hearing loud cracking or popping noises every 15-30 minutes especially at night when it cools down or when it's windy. On top of that when you walk around upstairs you can hear very loud cracking and popping sounds echoing downstairs and in the walls. We reported this to the builder for almost 12 months who just said it's normal (but they were a terrible builder and we have had non stop issues with them) and also the QBCC who were equally as useless. The house is nearly 2 years old now.

While we do have a lot of cracking in the walls I would like to think that is just settlement and the noise is not the gyprock constantly cracking but who knows.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
MrsJM (if you do a search for her name) has had similar issues with her house by Coral.
We have a timber frame and now im really glad. You poor thing, that sounds so sh*t.

Hi krushull
That has also been discussed here
Do your upstair walls of double storey homes make noises?
BTW photos also help
Our single storey steel frame is quiet. Some nights we hear 1 small pop near the front when we go to bed, apart from that, nothing!
krushull
In light of the cracking sounds when it's windy.
You might want to have the wind classification & shear wall engineering bracing drawings checked do you have photos of the framework whist the house was under construction? hth
Thanks all, sorry for the slow response. We are getting an engineering report done this week to check out the cracks and the noise so hopefully that will shed some light on things.

It's not so much when it's windy although I do notice it then a lot. Usually the change in temperature really kicks it off. Unfortunately we do not have photos of the frame when it was being built.
Krushull
Thanks all, sorry for the slow response. We are getting an engineering report done this week to check out the cracks and the noise so hopefully that will shed some light on things.

It's not so much when it's windy although I do notice it then a lot. Usually the change in temperature really kicks it off. Unfortunately we do not have photos of the frame when it was being built.

Krushull, what builder was this? I PM'ed you.
Krushull

Which builder is that?
Krushull

Hi Krushall. Have there been any updates? I'm having a very similar issue with my property. I've also sent you a PM. Thanks!
yesplease
Krushull

Hi Krushall. Have there been any updates? I'm having a very similar issue with my property. I've also sent you a PM. Thanks!

I recently built a double storey steel frame house, and having exactly same issues. Like in the morning when anyone walks on the floors upstairs that haven’t been walked yet, the floor and walls make creaking sounds but that settles when walked upon 1-2 times. However, when someone walks upstairs I can hear floor creaking sounds downstairs. Its a brand new house less than 12 months old. But builder says it’s normal as steel frame/floors do have more flex than timber. But honestly not buying their argument. Can anyone suggest any solution or way forward to deal with this issue or with builder?
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum