Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Internal wall looks out (pic)

Page 1 of 1
Hiya.

Long time lurker. We're currently building a house that is almost ready for handover and have just noticed this now that the flooring is in. Small wall between 2 of the bedrooms, really stands out like a dogs breakfast now.

Is anyone in the know what the tolerances are on things like this on internal walls, I would imagine it would be 10-20mm over a few metres, this looks close to 50mm over probably 300mm in length..
Just to clarify the line on the vinyl flooring is straight, as with the rest of the hall / room. The whole wall is just out of square by a mile, it wouldn't stand out so much over a longer distance but being so short its going to frustrate me.

Is this just a chippie error that should of been picked up on by any one of the several trades doing gyprock, painting, fit off etc?
I think it's something like 4 or 5 mm over 2 metres or smaller? depending if its frame or plaster tolerance. ie in your case 4 or 5mm over 300mm. Either way that needs to be fixed! I had similar issues in my house, I managed to get 1 fixed prior to flooring but they kept ignoring the others and now they are being fixed just prior to PCI. I think they thought they would be less noticeable after flooring
, I tried to tell them that it would only get worse with the straight lines of tiles.
Yes it is way out, my take on it is "if it looks wrong it is" and you don't need tolerances for dummies to tell you it is.
It may have been constructed in error or if it was constructed correctly the frame may have been knocked out of position afterwards.
Who should have noticed? Builder's SS, Builder's QA (if they have one) perhaps plasterer but my guess is plasterers are squeezed on price and rushing to make a wage, neither having time or the care to notice. The next person who should have noticed is your independent inspector at pre plaster(if you had one).
If you want to reduce your chances of having defects built into your house you need experienced building consultant at critical points of your construction. If you don't then you will come to the final and then may find out your walls are not straight and your corniced have bumps and waves, you will forever be wondering what else was covered up.
I can't believe anyone would fixed moldings and painted that the way it is, that's not a mistake, that's more I don't give a toss.
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum