Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Moving Meter Box - Considerations?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I did a search of the topic and around the web and can't really find much information on this. I'm building with a volume builder and in my plans I have the meter box located on the external garage side wall. The builder did caveat that the location of the meter box will be determined on site. When the developer was carrying out earth moving works in my estate (new estate) I did notice that the turret with power from the street was coming up on my non-garage side. My slab is down and external power services brought to the slab where the future meter box will be which turns out is not on my garage side as I wanted. I gather the builder just wanted to connect up the power line to the street with the shortest distance possible.

I spoke to my SS on a number of occasions and flagged and insinuated that I wanted the meter box on the garage side but looks like that hasn't happened. When I first noticed the orange pipe with the electrical cable prop up, I asked my SS to move it to the garage wall to which he responded that standards don't let them run an electrical cable across the block to the meter box. Does anyone know if this is an actual standard? Otherwise, does anyone know roughly what's involved in relocating the meter box after handover? I would imagine that I would need to contact my energy provider and arrange for this to be moved. Does anyone know of the rough costs? It would've been so much easier for me to have the meters commissioned in the spot I wanted to begin with...

It seems like it's possible to move the meter box without contacting the energy provider with most people wanting to relocate an internal meter box to be on the same wall, but sit outside. I can't find much information on moving it to the other side of the house.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Do you have an internal fuse box and if so is it in the garage?
Berek
Do you have an internal fuse box and if so is it in the garage?

I have asked the SS if I could have a sub-board located in the garage (was going to have this anyway and have the meter on the outside and circuit breakers on the inside wall) but was quoted $2k which sounds a bit high for essentially an extension cable from one side of the house to the other (while the meter box still remains in a location I'm not too happy about) so I'm not sure if I'll go ahead with it.

Out of curiosity, how does an internal fuse box fit into the overall considerations? (can't seem to put the 2 together).
If the breakers are in the meter box then every single wire in the house ends up there. No chance of moving it after the build unless you want to rewire the house again. I'm no electrician but I don't see any reason why the couldn't move it except time and money.
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

1/09/2023
Moving a chandelier after it has been mounted

Lighting + Lighting Design

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding moving a chandelier after it has been mounted. The chandelier in question is quite large, measuring 4 meters…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum