Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Termite Shields (Ant Capping)

Page 1 of 1
I am renovating my 1950s house and have noticed that the single brick piers have full termite shields but the long extended brick piers facing the front of the house have half termite shields. Is this normal (no place for pictures)?
sashley
I am renovating my 1950s house and have noticed that the single brick piers have full termite shields but the long extended brick piers facing the front of the house have half termite shields. Is this normal (no place for pictures)?

This forum is too hard for me to use, I have attached some photos, thank you.
Sashley,

If you're still in need of the advice, when ant capping is used as the sole deterrent to termite attack, the caps must protrude 100 mm past the edges of the stumps / brick piers and the outer 50 mm of the overhangs must turn down at 45 degrees (often depicted incorrectly and smaller on advice sites). I believe this gives you at least 2 years against even the most determined attacks. They are a much more economical way of preventing termite attack in the long-run... by far. Warranties on deterrent spray 'installations' are $150 every 6 months in perpetuity PLUS initial cost and re-spraying every 5 years at something like $1000 a pop. You should be ahead after about 5 - 7 years. Hope this helps.
Related
5/12/2023
Ripple iron fence capping

General Discussion

We have a Victorian style ripple iron fence out the front that has some moulded timber capping. Probably 15+ years old and has cracked and splintered in parts...not really…

21/06/2023
Termite Protection

General Discussion

Yes, neither is termite damage that is not covered by your house insurance.

19/02/2024
Termite and pest control

General Discussion

Fantastic. Good to know. Thank you very much

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum