Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Ceiling height tolerance

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I've found quite a few posts and articles about ceiling height

but none of them answers one fundamental question which is what is the tolerance that the builder can get away with.

In my case the height from slab to the bottom of joists is 2.74-2.73 but the plan says FFL to FCL is meant to be 2.74. Plaster ceiling and tiles will take some space so I can imagine the best case scenario is 2.71-2.72 once the house is finished. Is 2 cm a reasonable difference between plans and the actual house?

Thanks
Not sure about how accurate but flooring material isn't taking into account.
Then why would they put FFL to FCL in my plan?
Pm( be) , he will know.

Hi joker,

Thanks for that but http://www.homeone.com.au/member/be tells me this user "be" doesn't exist....?
To my mind there is no tolerance. If the plans show a FCL at 2.74 then that is what it needs to be. Often with a truss roof construction the pitching point will be at 2745 ( bottom chord of the truss ) which, with ceiling battens & plaster will end up at a 2700 ceiling level.
If this was to be the case the plans should show - floor level to pitching point 2745 (f/l - p/p 2745)
The difference seems a bit pedantic - what is the issue ?
Thanks ausdesign. So it looks like I'm looking at 4/5 lower ceilings than what is in the plans.

I suppose there is not much they can do now when the frame is up, roof is on and windows are installed?

Re being pedantic, yes and no. Yes, it's not major. No, it is an upgrade that I paid for. I somehow struggle to find post where the builder would provide higher, than designed, ceilings.
I wasn't putting down your concerns in any way if it came across as that.
Most builders / carpenters will work on a 2745 pitching height for a truss roof layout. Some builders will use a 35mm bottom plate with a slab type construction, making the p/p 2735. Ceiling battens are nominally 35mm plus 10mm of plaster gives a finished ceiling height of 2700 or 2690.
It sounds on the face of it that the detailing on the drawings may not have been correct in nominating FCL instead of PP.
If you've paid for an upgrade from a 2400 c/l (presumptive) to a 2700 c/l then I feel that what you've ended up with is within a reasonable range.
ausdesign I didn't take it that way and it was a valid question so no problem.

My spec says 2.54 -> 2.74 upgrade. From your experience, is there a way to increase the height that is relatively simple?

Thanks
No - if the frames up absolutely not.
Having said that, I have known builders to cut in the ceiling battens between the bottom chords on the trusses to gain an extra height but I wouldn't recommend going down that path.
I'm sure the builder wouldn't contemplate it.
ausdesign, thanks!
Related
8/09/2023
Construction tolerance

General Discussion

i inspect..there is no construction tolerance or building tolerances. Your option to instruct council with your surveyors report as they would have possibly had to obtain…

8/02/2024
Skirting/Windows Trim acceptable tolerance/gaps

Building A New House

Caulking gaps that big will look horrible

30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum