Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Driveway starting to move

Page 1 of 1
Hello H1 readers

I moved into my home about 14 months ago, and already my driveway has started to move/shift where the car goes in and out.

Because my driveway was narrowed due to elec dome and water placement, we can only get 1 car in and out of the driveway, so the middle of the driveway is the main area that gets used.

You can see some of the pavers starting to pull in and lift a bit and when looking at it with the naked eye, its very obvious that theres an M shape over the driveway where the wheels of the car have almost compacted that one path.

Are there not standards that driveways are built by to prevent this from happening? Or at least delay it 10+ years and not happen in a years time?

Pictures attached although my camera is terrible so its a little cloudy - hard to really see it from pictures.

Hi Kron
Unfortunately, unless specific codes are referenced or design notes included in the engineering
then builders will build what is cheapest or as it turns out in your case inadequate.
they should have advised you to put retaining walls on the RHS?
The pavers are spreading as a result of car changing direction/maneuvering up/down the driveway-> horizontal dynamic loading
This should have been pointed out to you? if not it is a structural issue?
Thanks for the reply!

Where could I find out if it has been referenced? Would it be listed on the drawings?
They should have given you a complete set of Specis, Docs, Engineering Details & Drawings?
Also check with your Council they may also have driveway requirements for length,gradients, retaining, crossovers, etc...
IMO that is not acceptable..
Related
24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum