Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Charged storm water system

Page 1 of 1
I have a charged water system and am about to go ahead with laying the driveway and pathways around the house.

Two of the storm water drains are full of water and the SS said this will always be the case is the drainage system is charged.

Do I screw these storm water pipes off or just i just throw a grate over them? When I fill each drain with water it just overflows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shanil

Some photos would be good as your description is very hard to follow.

What do you mean by "drain"?
SaveH2O
Some photos would be good as your description is very hard to follow.

What do you mean by "drain"?

Does that assist?

Looks like an IO. It will have to remain accessible. Where does the charged pipe drain to?
On the storm water plan it goes back to the rainwater tank.

What I might do is cap it off and keep it accessible under the concrete pathway

shanil86
On the storm water plan it goes back to the rainwater tank.

Ok, I have the complete picture now.

It is an Inspection Outlet (IO) but it seems to be a very strange place to put it and an archaic sub standard way of doing things.

From memory, you are in...Melbourne metro?

Have they fitted leaf diverters to every downpipe being diverted? It is important to keep organic matter out of wet systems.

Charged systems build up crud which can turn the retained water anaerobic because even during heavy rain, the water lacks the velocity up the vertical riser to flush the subsurface pipe. A wet system also won't flush through an IO due to the top of the IO being higher than the pipe.
I don't have leaf diverters in yet but will go in soon with the gutter guard. I'll have these pipes finished with a bolted trap screw flush with the level of the finished concrete pathway.

The IO is next to useless unfortunately. You really need a sediment trap on a wet system.

If you browse through Eco Living rainwater harvesting threads, you will find a diagram of a simple but very effective DIY sediment trap in several threads. The thread below has a diagram at the bottom of the first (and only) reply.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=85013

You mentioned that there were 2 pipes diverted to the tank. How many downpipes are diverted to those 2 pipes?
Related
13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

26/11/2023
Storm water drainage

Building A New House

Hello I am developing 2 side by side units. Wish someone can help me on the following questions 1) Which stage should be the storm water pipe installed during the new…

17/01/2024
Storm water extension?

General Discussion

If you need to be able to access these then you may need to dig them out and cut them so you can add a socket and a riser to the required height. We normally add a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum