Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Two garages built to the same boundary. Possible?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have a 12.57 meters wide block and one of my neighbors built their garage to the boundary. I actually want to build my garage as close to the same boundary as possible.

I'm in Brisbane so I'm assuming the following document applies http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/mp1-2.pdf, section A2d to be specific.

If I understand it correctly then I can build my garage as close as I want because:

i) the garage is not going to be higher than 4.5m.
ii) the garage is not going to be longer than 9m
iii) there is a garage on the opposite side of the boundary

I am trying to contact the QLD gov department that produced this document but they made as hard as possible.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Pawel
I think it is a case of first come, first served when building to the boundary. If you want to build a garage to butt up to your neighbours, you wont have the room to do it, not on a colorbond garage anyway . Ive never heard of anyone doing what you are thinking of doing. Ask BCC in the first instance anyway because they will be approving the plans if you are doing it by the book..
I've seen it done down here in Melbourne, garages butted up to each other, both with the guttering above the garage wall - the name for that escapes me at the moment.
You could fit your arm between them, that's about it.
Qebtel,

I called BCC and they told me to call QLD gov.
Qebtel, do you see anything in the linked doc that would explicitly prevent it from doing? I just can't find it.
There shouldn't be an issue with doing that. Speak to your local council building department to verify.
Box Gutter - Frye.
pawelpabich
Qebtel,I called BCC and they told me to call QLD gov.

Inappropriate typical govt buck passing response. BCC are the compliance agent for the Qld Dev Code, , they will be approving it, not some state based inspector from QBSA or whatever it is now.

Go back and tell them to learn their job properly. They'll either confirm you can do it, or not. If not, get them to state the code that disallows it, then check it yourself.
I get a feeling this is where you are going to learn how public servants often dont even know what they are enforcing. Record all names and times of all conversations, and have a witness if possible.

P1-P8 do not prevent what you want to do.. It then falls back to the setbacks and boundary guidelines in the town plan. If nothing is mentioned about it there (unlikely), then it falls back to the NCC (BCA Vol 2)
Pawel the maximum height if within the boundary setback is 4500 but the average overall height is 3500. The length of total structures along the boundary is 9 meters, so if there are any existing sheds etc they will need to be taken into account. From memory you were only allowed to build on 50% of the site in QLD but this may have changed.
This scenario occurs quite often (in Vic) & you are required to serve the adjoining owner with a 'Protection Work Notice'.
The footings need to be carefully designed & the excavations carried out so as to not impact upon the neighbouring footings.
Qebtel, yeah, that's how it felt. I will give it a try again next week.
Hi,

I got some initial info from a building certifier. Apparently what I'm describing is possible but because the wall will encroach 900mm fire separation from the boundary then a firewall will need to be built.

Anybody has any idea how expensive something like that is ?
60 minute firewall can be attained with a brick wall.
Propose a boundary eaves detail for Council perusal. Details should address fire/ encroachment, stormwater and other relevant issues.
Related
16/11/2023
Possible to "surface over" or would I need to completely rel

Paving & Concreting

You can wash over existing pavers with 10% solution of water and hydrochloric acid, then wash off. The acid will provide for required bond key with new concrete.

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum