Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Do water pipes in walls need silicone added to holes studs?

Page 1 of 1
Hiya,

We are at the framing stage of our build and have looked at the plumbing going through the framework. When the pipes pass through the frame, some of the holes that have been drilled have been filled with silicone around the pipe and other holes have not.

Is it a problem if its missing? I'm worried about knocking noises when the taps are turned on, but on the other hand the pipes are plastic wrapped (pex?) so it's likely not a problem.

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks heaps!
Silicone or gap filler?
Joynz
Silicone or gap filler?

No gap filler used, just silicone in some of the holes.
I siliconed the holes in our build myself. I read on here it was a good idea so bought a couple of tubes and snuck in one arvo

They should be siliconed but a lot of plumbers don't because of time. Not that it takes long!!

I wouldn't be concerned too much though, unless you have a steel frame where the pipe should be protected against a sharp edge.
Thanks all. Went and did it myself. Took 10 mins.

Cheers!
::angry:: ... I really wish that people would not make general statements based upon one paragraph of info.
Thanks! Thought this would be the case. Yet another set of standards Porter Davis's tradies ignore.
You have to be careful as to how you interpret Standards and you must also be aware of local regulations (if applicable) and the manufacturer's instructions.

Re your plumbing, copper pipes are un-insulated but pex pipes are considered to be insulated. The formula used to calculate the thermal conductivity of pex pipe is 0.46 W/mK (Watts per metre Kelvin).

The pex pipe manufacturer's instructions will specifically mention installation requirements on steel and timber framed houses and the need to also allow for lineal and thermal expansion.

A pex manufacturer's fitting instruction that I sometimes see pushed to the limit is the pex pipe's maximum cold bending radii which is usually x 10 the pipe's OD...just something to be aware of.

Re manufacturers instructions, you would be amazed at how many different products are installed contrary to manufacturers instructions. Never assume.
tlblhayward
::angry:: ... I really wish that people would not make general statements based upon one paragraph of info.

Could you be a little more specific about just where your anger is directed ?

More to the point, do you agree or disagree with the OP putting silicon (hopefully neutral cure) where the pipes go through the frames ?

PD
Related
2/02/2024
Patching Holes in EPS foam walls

Renovation + Home Improvement

Oh no! I would use a can of expandable foam ( there are some that will take render) then cut it back and render over the top

15/01/2024
Slim line water tank and strange pipes

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you for the generous offer. I need to get the plumber out to give me an explanation. As mentioned I haven't seen any rain water discharge from pipes 1& 3. It…

13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum