Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Building warranty period?

Page 1 of 1
Hi folks,
I've been trying to establish what the building warranty is in Vic in relation to newly built houses. I know that most builders say there is a 7 year builders warranty but I was recently directed the 'Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995' which states the following;

S. 9: Section 134 of the Building Act 1993 imposes a 10 year limit on
the bringing of building actions. It will apply to actions brought under section
9. The 10 years begins to run from the date the occupancy permit is issued.
If no occupancy permit is issued, the 10 years runs from the date the
certificate of final inspection is issued.

Is anyone able to verify if this means that there is a 10yr period whereby issues with the construction can be raised?
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domin ... 91a061.pdf

As outlined in the Act; the 10 year period relates to the bringing of "building actions" (a lawsuit against the builder for negligence or something similar). That is a very different thing to a warranty. For example you don't sue your TV manufacturer if the set stops working within the 12 month warranty period!

I'd contact your builder's maintenance department in the first instance and see how reasonable they are willing to be. If not, and the issue is severe enough to warrant you spending money in hopes of getting it fixed, then seek legal advice.
Look under Home Building Act

Thanks for the responses.
Related
11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum