Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

New build - Private Building Insp recommendations - SYDNEY

Page 1 of 1
Built 4 new houses before with major builders in the US but all were house and land packages etc.
We did hire a final inspector on a couple of them to go through and check everything as a 2nd more expert set of eyes.

This time doing a build with METRICON on land we bought and would like to hire a professional building inspector to check at slab, framing (pre sheet rock) and final to also get a 2nd more professional set of eyes and reduce some of the stress of knowing what to look for as dealing with issues afterwards is a major PITA as we know from 4 builds.

So, any recommendations for INSPECTORS in the Sydney area? (build in in NW area of Schofields)

Only called one so far and initial quote is $1400 for 4 inspections which is definitely on the high side but not familiar with Sydney prices for this.

Thanks
iam in the same position as you and have called up two other inspectors - they say about $350 - $460 per inspection. may be we can share our research?

How did you decide to choose which building inspector in the past?

I spoke to them on the phone and ask similar questions that were raised here in the forum but they cant really answer them.

what do you look out for in the building inspector? do you go on their sites and do an inspection with them on other houses that are currently building?

I see sample reports from them and sometimes i dont see the is worth while. For example, many things that were listed in the report were visual inspection items of minor defects - like chipped tiles, mis-aligned glass, major non-structural gaps, unclean areas..
$1400 for 4 inspections is not bad. We paid $1800 odd upfront for 4 inspections. Having said that I am very happy with the service from Houspect. Our building inspector is a builder himself and is very knowledgeable.

I would suggest you go with recommendations rather than price. As it beats the point of having a independent building inspector if they don't do a proper job.

I know some M builds have also used Howard Ryan and happy with it. Search home forum for recommendations.

Good luck

viewtopic.php?t=78985

thanks Franky

Could you please provide the name of the building inspector that you fire previously from Housespect?

My idea is having a building inspector that is both knowledgeable and yet have a tough personality that can push issues to be fixed and does not back down and compromise.
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum