Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Slab info

Page 2 of 2
Liliana
Was this the earthquake in Ferntree gully in January 2014?

Not sure where that is ? They live north/east (sort of) of Melbourne. Warragul way. It may have been more than a year - I was just remembering.
Saint Mike
Liliana
Was this the earthquake in Ferntree gully in January 2014?

Not sure where that is ? They live north/east (sort of) of Melbourne. Warragul way. It may have been more than a year - I was just remembering.

Oops - sorry - East of Melbourne - I'm a bit off - must be SOO tonight ...
Thanks, so I think we would be best getting that soil removed, because it was not compacted and tree bits etc in it. We are still a long time off building but need to get it right before we build.
Cheers
building-expert
Slab rectification and the methods of underpinning are structural engineering issues which I would refer to my engineer to solve.
As experienced builder and underpinning contractor I have insight in what could to be the solution,
also as estimator that has to work out likely cost of rectification i have to make assumptions and educated guess.
Underpinning perimeter of slab where required is straight forward (except when you have to cut paving to do it)
Underpinning centre of dished slab is more complicated because you can't get to it.

So for the purpose of cost calculation i have assumed that perimeter can be stabilised by underpinning and that slab levels in centre could be raised to reasonable level tolerances with expanding resin injection method.

There are complications of course, resin injection could interfere with sub floor plumbing, but hey isn't life complicated?

I must say I have never tried this method but it could work, then again my engineer may come back and say no or come up with something even better. I will keep an open mind on this.

The case your referring to is it a heave situation?
insider
building-expert
Slab rectification and the methods of underpinning are structural engineering issues which I would refer to my engineer to solve.
As experienced builder and underpinning contractor I have insight in what could to be the solution,
also as estimator that has to work out likely cost of rectification i have to make assumptions and educated guess.
Underpinning perimeter of slab where required is straight forward (except when you have to cut paving to do it)
Underpinning centre of dished slab is more complicated because you can't get to it.

So for the purpose of cost calculation i have assumed that perimeter can be stabilised by underpinning and that slab levels in centre could be raised to reasonable level tolerances with expanding resin injection method.

There are complications of course, resin injection could interfere with sub floor plumbing, but hey isn't life complicated?

I must say I have never tried this method but it could work, then again my engineer may come back and say no or come up with something even better. I will keep an open mind on this.

The case your referring to is it a heave situation?

No. I think majority of it is subsidence. Builder has put in pins to some of the perimeter but now there is dishing and a tilt and is still cracking.
I think H site was ruined by poor drainage after excavation and slab edge flooding during construction. I don't have all the answers yet. it's not pretty.
Related
13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

8/06/2023
Slab low

Building A New House

I have the civil/drainage plans, what am I looking for?

12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum