Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Attaching Stone Cladding to Rendered Brick Wall

Page 1 of 1
I'm thinking about attaching stone cladding (aka stackstone) to a pier at the front of my house - the pier has painted render on top of bricks, is it ok to attach the stone directly to the rendered surface, or does it need to be removed back to the bare brick and some sort of board attached?
I think you need to get rid of the paint layer only.
As TBH says you could try removing the paint and/or render but it may be stuck on really well and you may do some damage trying to remove it. A scraper or wide cold chisel would be the best bet and a fair bit of elbow grease. If the paint and render is too hard to remove and you are going to glue the stone onto the pier then you could use a decent primer over the paint so the glue adheres to it. You just have to do some homework and decide which paint/primer/glue combo is compatible with each other.

Stewie
Use Mapei Kerra Bond plus adhesive with isolastic 50 additive. This will stick to the render
Ideally the render should be removed.
Stack stone or tiles in general are pretty heavy and can actually pull the render off. It might last a while, but you won't find an experienced tiler guarantee it

This is the same reason why villa board in bathrooms where there is tiles can't be glued, it must be nailed at 200mm centres

All you need it a light duty chipping hammer with a wide blade and a bit of patience.
decryption
I'm thinking about attaching stone cladding (aka stackstone) to a pier at the front of my house - the pier has painted render on top of bricks, is it ok to attach the stone directly to the rendered surface, or does it need to be removed back to the bare brick and some sort of board attached?

Hi. Did you ever go ahead with this ? I am in same position I want to put stack stone on my rendered walls and wondered if it’s possible?
Related
30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

22/03/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Cheers. The painted render is a bit chalky to the touch. To prepare the surface for best adhesion, what would you recommend? Also, given that there must be some…

19/04/2024
Attaching roofing to brick

General Discussion

I plan on installing an undercover walkway (awning ??) from my carport to the back door as shown in sketch. I will be using Boxspan Beams and have no concerns regarding…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum