Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Urethane sealant in expansion joints mandatory?

Page 1 of 1
Our build is nearing completion and I have a bit of a doubt. The expansion joints in the external walls have a soft foam like filler but there is no urethane sealant on the expansion joints.

Does anyone know if its mandated by building codes to seal the expansion joints with a urethane sealant?
I doubt it. Just about every expansion join we did in brick walls etc were just the 75 or 100mm foam strip like Abelflex or the bitumen impregnated felt which was installed flush with the face of the brickwork. No sealant to cover the join and I remember that almost none of the details on the plans showed sealant being used.
Mind you if that is what's shown on your detailing, then that is how they should do it.

Stewie
I spoke to our builder and they use the foam strip and then matching mortar sealant on our articultion joints. This is one of the last jobs during the build.
Often they will put a foam backing rod into the AJ. That way when they fill with flexible sealant it they don't waste too much and squirt the full brick width.
It is there to seal the crack, doesn't form a structural join.

Personally I prefer the sealant, keeps it looking cleaner and creepy crawlies from nesting in small gaps.
Related
26/01/2024
Ensuite window on facade:is opaque glass mandatory?

Windows & Doors

ecoeco. tried to send a PM to you but it just sits in my outbox. Can you PM me?

5/12/2023
Control Joints in Villaboard for a Bathroom

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi All, First time poster. I was hoping to get some advice on villaboard installation within a bathroom. I have installed villaboard before, in a laundry. I think I did…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum