Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

New house frame issues

Page 1 of 18
Hey guys first time building a timber frame house so not sure if this is normal or something I should raise with the SS.
I noticed there are cuts on a lot of the studs next to where the ties were for the timber packs

Also one with a huge knot hole

Also a lot of the noggins are pretty average, full thickness on one half then thin on the other and one is very damaged

Some are also very easy to twist.

Then all my door frames and doors are stacked in the mud

Is this normal practice? I would have thought they throw out the bad cuts.
Hi Hitman,

I can't comment on whether this is normal or not but if I were you I would hire an experienced and reliable inspector to check the frame out before they go any further. At the end of the day the only one who is going to care how this house is constructed is you.
Yeah good advice, I've left a message with the site supervisor to call me, I want it fixed.
The cuts you see are typical of those made for cross bracing but as there is no bracing installed they shouldn't be there.

The large knot hole in the stud is unacceptable.

Leaving frames in the mud is poor.

Without actually visiting the site its hard to be definitive but it looks like the frames have been made using offcuts from previous jobs!

I would definitely recommend you get an independent inspector so they can see you are going to be on their case about quality.

The sooner they realise you are very serious about ensuring you get a good job the more they are likely to make the effort to get it right first time
Thanks bashworth.
Definitely not off cuts unless they took our timber with them. It was all delivered yesterday
In that case they are not being selective enough with the timber from the packs.
That's what I thought, I just needed expert opinion. I'll have them fix it and the cut studs too.
hitman
Then all my door frames and doors are stacked in the mud

And delivered before the roof is on!
Only back half of the frame is up lol
The more I think about this. The more I think it's time to book frame inspection and a pre plaster. Now just have to choose one that can do those two
It's a vary careless and unprofessional piece of work.

But good thing is that you have picked up and they are going to rectify this.

I know someone who been to his build only once in last two months and totally relying on his site supervisor and surveyor for construction.

It's a big investment, and definitely worth going with a reputable independent building inspector. This will keep site supervisor and trades to be more careful.

Anything which would be buried behind plaster boards should be inspected before it will create more trouble.

All the best with your build mate. Pls keep us posted how would you go, thanks.
Update:
The cuts in the studs are for the diagonal bracing, I was there today and could see some have been placed. There are others though that have still yet to be installed and have what looks like temporary bracing

The door frames have been put on the slab on bearers in the main bedroom and are no longer in the dirt

The stud with the knot hole is still there but I've now realised its in the wardrobe I would still like to have it fixed though.

The noggings I was told by SS are fine.

There is no frame overhang on the slab.

I am still trying to decide on a building inspector, have it down to 4 possibles but one of them says they own the one of the others so it may just be 3.

Anyway just garage to go
Any further update on your frame issue hitman? Hope all sorted by now.
We will see what inspector says about it, I've noticed a couple of others too. Trusses are up now and I have questions about some of them too...
My understanding was that they had to go above studs to carry the load but some of men are between studs. Again this is something that the inspector will pick up if an issue
overall though I am stoked
I told our framer that the trusses had to be directly above a stud and got the response... "nah, as long as they are close it's ok". Our independent inspector went around and marked every stud for rectification! Our SS tells me that the top plate will be stiffened.
I thought so
Question... for frame inspection, is the roof installed or does this not happen until after? I guess I'm curious because if the inspector finds these issues and studs have to be moved to carry load. do they have to reframe that wall to keep the spacing of the studs or do they just move a stud as needed?
They should just move each stud as required so that they are under each truss but they will still have to maintain the max stud spacing which looks like 600mm in your case. I don't think the wall framer looked at the roofing plan when he built the walls otherwise all the studs would line up with the trusses.

Stewie
Yeah 600 centres for the studs but they are all over the shop most are dead on others are smaller and a couple are 620
Stewie D
They should just move each stud as required so that they are under each truss but they will still have to maintain the max stud spacing which looks like 600mm in your case. I don't think the wall framer looked at the roofing plan when he built the walls otherwise all the studs would line up with the trusses.

Wouldn't is just be easier to put in more studs and noggins?
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum