Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Protecting your Slab

Page 25 of 28
I've just reread this thread for about the 3rd time to refresh my memory before my build starts. I am posting to bump this thread up for anybody about to build to read from start to finish. It outlines some of the issues to be aware of. My advice is for anybody about to build is to organise for a prepour independant inspection as once it is out of the ground and set in concrete and is wrong you are in a world of hurt.
goody59
I've just reread this thread for about the 3rd time to refresh my memory before my build starts. I am posting to bump this thread up for anybody about to build to read from start to finish. It outlines some of the issues to be aware of. My advice is for anybody about to build is to organise for a pre-pour independent inspection as once it is out of the ground and set in concrete and is wrong you are in a world of hurt.

Could not have said it any better myself!
This has to be about the most important thread I have read on the Homeone forum. It is a " must read "
Quick question, if I'm in an established area and building boundary to boundary at the front of my property, how can I take steps to protect my slab/strip footings?

There are some concrete or paved areas on either side (but not everywhere) so I'm wondering what I would have to do for the parts where my footings will abut on to my neighbors garden bed for example.

In those areas maybe a drop beam that goes down as far as practicable or piers maybe? An engineer would be your best guide. The rest of your house - paths as per advised above.

Stewie
For those about to build read this thread from A to Z. Far more important that the colour choice of the walls in your new house.
goody59
For those about to build read this thread from A to Z. Far more important that the colour choice of the walls in your new house.

Most people see this thread after issues arise. perhaps promoting this thread outside of this thread might highlight its importance to a broader audience.
Ponzu
goody59

Most people see this thread after issues arise. perhaps promoting this thread outside of this thread might highlight its importance to a broader audience.

I agree 100% but have no idea how it can be in everybody's face without continually bumping it up.
goody59
Ponzu
goody59

I agree 100% but have no idea how it can be in everybody's face without continually bumping it up.

Request a sticky.
How do you request a sticky for this thread?
goody59
How do you request a sticky for this thread?

If it is going to be made a sticky, then it really needs to be moved to the more appropriate sub forum, i.e. building standards I guess.

You also have to remember that the admins have to be really selective as to what they make sticky, as it's no good to have a dozen sticky threads in a sub forum as they lose their effectness, and often spoils/becomes a nuisance for people trying to read new posts in that sub forum.

It becomes a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

FWIW, I reckon the better option is to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, i.e. Building Standards. It then won't scroll off the first page with the dozens of daily new posts that it would in the Building a new home sub forum.
Thanks for the tips.
Time for a bump.
Considering this, then should I be fine if I install artificial lawn around the house (with builder plastic underneath)?
insider
robbie55
This might be a silly question but is there an alternative to concrete around the slab? Would compacted road base under pavers be enough? Is there any safe way to have a garden bed directly against the slab?

With plastic sloped away you can put anything on top as long as it doesn't puncture the plastic
Builders plastic is good maybe even doubled up to be sure.
As far as a garden against the house wall goes nothing that needs watering and very shallow roofs that won't get through the plastic so realistically flowers or ground cover plants that don't need watering.
If you look at the drainage crossection posted earlier and remove the concete and replace it with gravels and topsoil that's what you should be aiming for

Yes as long as it is done properly and slopes away from the building.You could slope the plastic into an agi drain away from the the perimeter.
Thanks for this man!
insider
Yes as long as it is done properly and slopes away from the building.You could slope the plastic into an agi drain away from the the perimeter.

My house is nearing completion and I am arranging concreting and drainage all the the way around the perimeter.

The area below in red will be concreted and drained. Ideally I would like to have lawn right up to the alfresco with subsurface drainage, without a concrete apron around the alfresco as well . Is this a bad idea or should I just concrete the green area (1m wide) as well??

Thanks

brokenstick
My house is nearing completion and I am arranging concreting and drainage all the the way around the perimeter.

The area below in red will be concreted and drained. Ideally I would like to have lawn right up to the alfresco with subsurface drainage, without a concrete apron around the alfresco as well . Is this a bad idea or should I just concrete the green area (1m wide) as well??

Thanks

Concrete it if you can, fall to storm water if allowed. Remember concrete only needs to be 25mm fall over 1 m. grass will have to be 50mm fall over 1m.

sweetswisssteel
brokenstick

Thanks

Concrete it if you can, fall to storm water if allowed. Remember concrete only needs to be 25mm fall over 1 m. grass will have to be 50mm fall over 1m.

Is that correct? Only 25mm fall.

Some say it's 75mm fall. Hmmm
Not for paved or concreted surfaces, but grass yes

Related
13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

8/06/2023
Slab low

Building A New House

I have the civil/drainage plans, what am I looking for?

12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum