Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

NSW CDC rules on floor-space size vs outbuilding size

Page 1 of 1
Sorry if anyone's seen this over in the Building New section; I've decided it's probably a bit OT over there.

Can someone please confirm if I'm understanding the NSW Complying Development rules correctly?

We have a block that's just under 600sqm.
The floorspace/coverage rules which are relevant are that our house (including garage, fenced balconies etc) can be up to 330sqm; outbuildings can total to 45sqm; and the hard surface when viewed from above can't go over some proportion which I think is 50% (not sure on that but can get the details easily - for the purposes if the following calculation assume it's 50%).

Would I therefore be correct in saying that, as long as the hard-coverage in-total doesn't exceed about 294sqm, it would be acceptable to have a house (including inbuilt double garage) with total upstairs+downstairs floorspace of about 325sqm, and a separate single-garage-plus-workshop which encloses about 40sqm?
That sounds correct.
If that is an issue in the design why don't you do the DA through your council or are their floor space ratios and/or hard surface areas worse ?

Stewie
Related
20/02/2024
Renovation size rules help NSW

General Discussion

just ask council, most have a free service for this.

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum