Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Where is the quality?

Page 1 of 1
Why is it that when spending the best part of four hundred thousand of dollars that clients are expected to put up with poor quality rubbish. It is becoming increasingly frustrating that our dream home is being assembled by so called qualified tradesman that have absolutely no pride in their work or total incompetence and management that cant deliver on the standards that they promise.

I didn’t see this level of care when we walked through the display home.

Perhaps naming and shaming is the only way to get a response from the builder. These photos are just the latest in a series of issues, from one of Australia's most highly recognised and awarded builders. Is it too much to ask for two pieces of wood to join up flush?

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/doors.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/skirting.jpg/

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/picture1vj.jpg/

http://img444.imageshack.us/i/picture3yqh.jpg/
Paira. You are right to be dissapointed in the quality of work. I'm a carpenter and can tell you that the standard of work in your pictures is very poor. The picture of the skirting looks as though they have just cut an internal mitre and haven't bothered to scribe it.

The painters will come along and fill everything and it will be harder to notice, however gaps that big in architrave and skirtings will move and eventually become noticable again. Problem being is that it wont happen until you are through your maintenance period and the builder will wash their hands of it.
I hope for your sake that these are the only or worst examples.
My experience is that if you point out any defects, 95% of builders will fix them without hesitation. The other 5% are a worry and probably won't be in business in 5 years time. However, as chippy noted, some fixes are quick-and-dirty and will come back to bite you, long after the builder thinks it's their responsibility.
We had some really bad tradies. I posted on this group the damage they caused.
The problems you have there are easy fixed yourself - so at least you dont have to spend 6 months and $3K dragging them down the well drodden path to the builders tribunal.

The quality will be back when we order houses and crews online from China.

Steve
? Have u seen the houses in China????????
!!!!!!!

Unfortunately with the building boom & labour shortage, substandard quality is now the norm, & premium $$$$$$ are expected for not "stuffing up"(if u can find such a tradie in the first place).
Quality starts with documentation and management and each of these take time and are tedious.

What I have found is that many people try to take a shortcut on these 'boring' issues to try and just get started on site as soon as possible. Sounds good in theory but the problems and defects start piling up because the documentation and management of trades has been half done at best.

The next problem is that the major builders have commoditised themselves to the point where they only compete on price - hence to win sales they cut prices to be more competitive. Because customers are unable to judge much else other than price, then price becomes the decision maker in most instances - especially when a custom build to your own design is financially out of the question.

When the volume/project builders cut the prices that customers have to pay then they also at the other end cut the prices they pay thier trades and they also cut the cost of management by lumping more and more onto their overworked supervisors. In the end, surprise - surprise we have these sorts (and far, far worse) quality issues.

By paying trades less, the good ones simply move on to greener pastures and the volume end of the market is largely left with morons. Documentation is useless as they wouldn't (or couldn't) read it anyway....that is my take after 25 years of observation for what it is worth.

Thankfully we are not competing with that rubbish.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum