Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Building Standards & Rules : Double Story House ??

Page 1 of 1
Hey Guys,

Are there any specific building standards and rules for building a double story house?
I am asking this as someone is building a double story house just next to my back fence. For information , mine is a new estate and has all single story houses,infact all houses in nearby estates are also single story.

I also need to know if a consent is required from neighbours while constructing a double story house as it directly effects their respective privacy ? If this house comes up we wont be having much privacy in our outdoor area and rooms close to that location.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Check with your council.
There should be a DCP (Development Control Plan) that has a rules for setback from the frontage, backyard, building height etc.
Good luck.
This one is best to ask your council but I don't think there is any rule blocking people from building double story. They will have to take appropriate measure (windows placements etc) to protect yours and their privacy.
Hello, as Fruitty says, overview, and shading as well are what you should probably concentrate on. In terms of what they are allowed to do, all they really need do is comply with the BCA.
As far as grounds that you can protest on, shading and overview (privacy) are the only two that I know of.

Jack
Double storey houses usually have windows on the upper floor that are designed to protect privacy of neighbours. Our design has two types of windows on the upper storey - long windows up high (514x1810), and small windows (1027x850). The bathroom has a large window but that's got privacy glazing for our privacy!

The end result is that we can't see our neighbours from the second storey and they can't see us unless we are specifically looking that way. I would only be concerned if a double storey house had, say, a balcony at the back or a large window where you could always see everything happening in the room. We have large windows on the ground floor and a balcony at the front only.
Quote:
I also need to know if a consent is required from neighbours while constructing a double story house as it directly effects their respective privacy ?

Nope, as there would never be any two story houses as every neighbour would complain. If it has been approved by council, there is nothing you can do.
I agree. It is a bit unfair, but the council has the final say. You might as well just have some draperies in your windows to protect you privacy, or maybe a high fence to protect your backyard's privacy.
namz
Hey Guys,

Are there any specific building standards and rules for building a double story house?
I am asking this as someone is building a double story house just next to my back fence. For information , mine is a new estate and has all single story houses,infact all houses in nearby estates are also single story.

I also need to know if a consent is required from neighbours while constructing a double story house as it directly effects their respective privacy ? If this house comes up we wont be having much privacy in our outdoor area and rooms close to that location.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

A bit confusing description ... Are you saying that your next door neighbour is already buidling the house, or did you find out that that's their intention and if so, how did you find out?!?
The normal process for our council is:
- you (or the builder) submits the dev application to the council
- the dev appl. must contain the Statement of Environmental Effects, addressing Privacy, Overshadowing and Sun Access for your neighbours
- the builder also must provide the Shadow diagram proving the statements from the SoEE
- the council lodges the application internally and sends out the "Neighbourhood Notification" letter (with external house plans) to the closests neighbours (even to some which don't share your boundaries)
- neighbours have about 2 weeks to make a submission (ie. a complaint).
So, where are you at in the above steps??? Have you (being a neighbour) received the "Neighbourhood Notification" letter from the Council?
BTW, consent is NOT required from neighbours on any of the issues you have, but you are welcome to make a submission. It's wise to write any submissions in such a way that it proves how the new development would adversely affect your enjoyment of your own block and the house. Support it will all the ammunition you can think of, including drawings, photos, etc. Some are easy (eg. overshadowing and sun access ... there are strict but straight forward rules on this and you can research & find them; privacy - you can complain of high placed windows looking into your backyard or the house). The point is that the council must inform you of any new developments (not just a new house) and give people opportunity to respond.
Looks like you have to come up with the plan how to ask them to modify their design (or use some kind of screening - plants or structures, obscure windows, etc) so that your privacy remains reasonable. Any of the agreed outcomes must be put in writing to you (ask for them), plus they will end up in your neighbour's building contract (under council conditions).
Related
28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

12/04/2024
Two kitchens in one house - planning rules

General Discussion

"is it exempt or do I need to get permission from council" Call your Council and ask them

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum